This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

SuperUser gives "Wrong certificate or password for regist.."

unsane

I set up a Murmur server, with SuperUser password and the whole bit, following the guide. I created a user account and successfully joined the Mumble server.

However, if i try to connect using the SuperUser username with correct password, i get "Wrong certificate or password for registered user. If you are certain this user is protected by a password please retry. Otherwise abort and check your certificate and username."

aStTq

What is the problem here?

• Administrators

Hello there

The SuperUser account can not have an assigned account certificate. So if you indeed log in with username superuser, it should ignore the certificate and try to authenticate you with the password you provide.

Are you sure you are using the correct password? Where did you get it from? Did you try setting a new password with -supw and then restarting the server? (Note that if you emit the virtual server id it will use ID 1 - which is fine if you only use one virtual server in the server process, and did not start/configure an additional one).

Sadly, I'm not sure if a wrong superuser password also leads to a "wrong ... password for registered user", which would be a suboptimal and confusing error message (as superuser is not really a 'registered' user account).

But I would expect it to be different; especially with the note to check the username...

Are you sure you are using the correct password?

Quite sure, yes.

Where did you get it from?

It's my server, i created the password moments before, using "murmur.exe -supw Password_of_your_choice", as directed in the aforementioned guide.

Did you try setting a new password with -supw and then restarting the server?

No, since i had just created the server and password, and started the server, it seems odd that i would need to again set a new password and restart the server. Also it presumably would ask for the old password before letting me make a new one anyway... Right? :P

(Note that if you emit the virtual server id it will use ID 1 - which is fine if you only use one virtual server in the server process, and did not start/configure an additional one).

I don't know what any of this means. :P I don't think it was referenced in the guide. Presumably i have one server.

• Administrators

it presumably would ask for the old password before letting me make a new one anyway... Right?

No. The -supw command line argument does not ask for a password, it just sets the password.

It is the fallback. The context is that if you have command line access you could do anything to the server anyway. So you can set the superuser password.

No, since i had just created the server and password, and started the server, it seems odd that i would need to again set a new password and restart the server.

Well, I'm not sure what I can suggest to you then. After setting the superuser password with -supw you are/should be able to log in with username superuser and the password you set.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the server seems to be working fine despite being locked out of SuperUser, so i guess i can live without a resolution to the bug. If i ever need SuperUser i'll reset the password or whatnot and hope that that time it doesn't complain.

• 3 years later...

I may have found ! Because I had the same issue :

murmurd -supw <chosen_password> updated the password locally (/home/<user>/.murmurd/murmur.inià, but murmurd was launched as an admin task

sudo murmurd -supw <chosen_password> did the trick 😄

could be translated to windows... perhaps

• 6 months later...

Can i confuse this topic even more??   i have had murmur running on my win 2012r2 server for a while and had set the superuser password and it was working fine.... until i replaced the laptop i was using to administer the server with.  i installed mumble 1.3.3 on a new laptop, copied the certificate over for my personal account which worked fine.  but, when i went to login to SuperUser the first time i went and looked up the password, put it in, and got the wrong password or certificate error message... now from what i have read the certificate part of that is superfluous, but i didn't see that until after wasting an hour or two trying to find the certificate on the old laptop where i had uninstalled mumble already.  after resetting the password a couple times to the same thing i thought it was i played a hunch and reinstalled mumble on the old laptop hoping it might be hiding a certificate somewhere i couldn't find it.... Viola! the old laptop logged in as SuperUser the first time with the saved password it had hidden somewhere.  i checked the password on the old laptop and it matched what i thought it should have been.  So, logged out of the old laptop and tried logging in on the new one with the same password, same error message.  so why would one laptop work as SuperUser and the other one sitting right next to it won't??

• 7 months later...

I've registered only to share my solution.

I created my server a few weeks ago and wanted to configure the server with my SuperUser now.

Logging in with SuperUser (SU) didn't worked. Certificate/Password error.

The reason for this error message is, because I used a long password for the super user with $§%&' characters. It was about ~30 characters long and meant to be used only with copy/pasting. Idk if the password was too long or some of the special characters were the problem- changing the password temporary to a simple password worked.

dafuq ... 😄 

P.S: it was the character "&" and "$" because maybe GNU/Linux interprets it differently like a bash character or something ..

Edited by yummyblueberry

• Administrators
13 hours ago, yummyblueberry said:

P.S: it was the character "&" and "$" because maybe GNU/Linux interprets it differently like a bash character or something ..

Ah yes that could very well be - did you perhaps not quote the password when passing it to the server on the command line?

E.g. did you use something like

./mumble-server -supw MyPassword$123&

instead of (note the single quotes)

./mumble-server -supw 'MyPassword$123&'

?

If not escaped properly, characters like $, & and * have special meaning in Bash (and probably other shells) and will be interpreted by the shell instead of being passed literally. Thus if you want to use those literally, you'll always have to quote them (either by wrapping them in quotes or by preceding them with a backslash).