This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

1.2.19 process running but program not launching

ninjaec

• Moderators

Is this a brand new install, or did you upgrade from a previous version of Mumble?

Is there a task icon in the task bar, or just nothing?

If you have an IRC client you might get more interactive assistance on IRC: irc://irc.freenode.org/mumble

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Is this a brand new install, or did you upgrade from a previous version of Mumble?

Is there a task icon in the task bar, or just nothing?

If you have an IRC client you might get more interactive assistance on IRC: irc://irc.freenode.org/mumble

Thank you for your reply.

There is no task icon.

The problem first occurred when upgrading. I have now re-installed Mumble after un-installing it and the problem persists.

After letting the process run for almost 10 (!) minutes the program launched however... really strange. And I am sitting on a high end computer so computational power cannot be the issue here...

• Moderators

Thanks for your patience, I don't think I'd have waited 10 minutes unless I walked away to do something else. :(

Can you check %appdata%\Mumble\console.log, and possibly upload it?

If you install one of the latest snapshot versions, does it still do it? If so, can you paste the console log of that one (I think the snapshots are more verbose than the releases)?

Have you used Mumble on this machine before? Are there likely to be private keys, server passwords, favourites, or anything like that in the configuration or is this a brand new install? If it's a brand new install, while the process is spinning before it starts, can you go to task manager, right click the process and choose "create dump file". It'll kill the process, and create a dump file, probably in %appdata%\..\Local\Temp\mumble.dmp. It'll be about 150MB or so, but I think it will compress well down to about 50MB-ish if you zip it, possibly better with RAR or 7zip. Are you able to upload that somewhere and link to it?

I must stress that if you've got any secrets such as private keys or passwords in Mumble, they'll likely be compromised in the dump file - so if that's the case let us know and we'll either work out a way for you to encrypt the dump before sending it to a developer, or you could try running it as another user so those credentials aren't loaded.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.