This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Setting Mumble/Murmur Up For Gaming?

DeathStalker

Hello all!

I have the client and the server installed on my system - I want to use it to connect with another system for gaming.

I can connect to the server using localhost, but how do I have the other player/s connect to me? Do they just input my IP & Port?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Hi, in order to have other folks outside your network speak to Murmur, you'll have to port forward whatever port it's running on, over both TCP and UDP.

My experience has been with folks running servers from home that it's generally a recipe to hate life. Some consumer routers aren't good enough to throw multiple streams of tiny UDP packets around, your ISP may hate it too, and Mumble doesn't deal with NAT super gracefully in my limited experience.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend either renting a server, renting a small VPS to run it from, or using one of the many public ones. Feel free to try port forward 64738 TCP/UDP to Murmur's internal IP, and then hand out your external IP to other users though.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Administrators

Yes, they have to connect to your servers IP and port.

Localhost works only locally on your system. If you're in a local network, the local network IP address will work (unless your router firewall or system firewall blocks traffic). If you plan to connect via internet you'll have to use the internet ip address and make sure your router forwards traffic (for the corresponding port) to your system and server.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried TeakSpeak3, which is highly touted - while it was easy to connect to a public server and create a private chat room, the audio quality was HORRIBLE and ridiculously laggy - it would often cut off the first part of a word ! When I tried to do the same with Mumble - connect to a public server and create a private channel, I saw no options to do do, and received no answers to asking about it in chat.

It would be nice to have a SIMPLE guide created to step a n00b through configuring a localhost - I just used localhost as the server address, no port specified.

All I want to do is establish voice communication with another player in a game that doesn't support in-game voice. One would think this should be fairly simple :(

• Administrators

Localhost vs local network address vs internet network address and potential firewall and local network router hiding local network from the internet are all first and foremost unrelated to Mumble and a thing for any voice chat solution you may chose.

When you run a local server you will have to handle these with any software. And for those familiar with this stuff, it is intuitive and the same for any server software. Sure, there could be novice guides for this. It seems nobody created these yet for Mumble specifically.

Not everything is intuitive for those using something for the first time.

If MUMBLE wants to retain their niche as *only* advanced users, then that's fine - their business will simply stagnate. If they want to make it EASY for the public at large to use, then they should be generating these sorts of guides. This is simple Business 101.

I don't even know if anyone from MUMBLE even reads these posts.

• Administrators

their business will simply stagnate

This is simple Business 101.

We are not a business. I'm part of the core Mumble team, so yes, "someone from Mumble" does read this.

Mumble is a community effort. We appreciate community contributions and interest in joining the team. Feel free to register and contribute guides to our (after registration) freely editable wiki. We appreciate and depend on that.

While I could spend more time on guides and stuff, we are in dire need of core work and release work. I have to spend time there and not on guides. We are doing this in our spare time, and we don't have a lot of time to spend. So it's rather difficult to "follow business 101".

I hope this context makes you present yourself less entitled. I don't get anything for this other than losing my spare time I could spend otherwise - occasionally some appreciation.