This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Does Mumble Overlay require being whitelisted by companies?

maskrcnn

I've been studying the Mumble overlay code, and after scouring the internet, I learned that some companies/organizations whitelist fullscreen overlay implementations and require certified code to run DirectX hooks. Was it necessary for Mumble to be whitelisted by Blizzard so that the overlay could appear in games like Overwatch? I'm asking because I want to build an informational overlay similar to Mumble's. Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Hey,

no, there is no such whitelisting by publishers, or at least we are not aware of it.

We hook into the D3D libraries loaded into memory by the OS. We replace the library code in memory to make it jump into our code, where we do our thing, run the duplicated code we copied before replacement, and then redirect back to the rest of the original code.

• Administrators

Yes and no. Publishers don’t really have control over if we hook in or not. For those APIs we support we always hook in.

This does depend on some stuff though, and publishers can work around that.

I remember there was a time when SMITE repeatedly changed with updates where it switched between working and not working. Not sure what they changed back and forth.

I don’t know what API Fortnite uses, and what actually prevents the overlay from showing.