This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Text-To-Speech not working at all after Windows Update

Akito

Some of you might have heard of the terrible Windows update that has hit many consumers which caused millions of computers to function worse or even stop functioning, at all. Since then I had to fix a lot of issues with the OS, but I still didn't manage to fix the TTS issue, which completely caused this function to be muted entirely in the Windows client for Mumble. TTS works, if connected from Plumble to the Murmur server. So the issue has to be the Windows client. Since the aforementioned terrible Windows update, the Windows client of Mumble was updated from 1.2.9 to 1.3 stable. Sadly, the issue still persists.

All this sounds like a Windows-only issue, but I've tried every TTS solution that focuses on the OS and nothing of it worked. TTS seems to work on OS-level, but still not in Mumble.

TTS is turned on, settings were applied several times, nothing worked.

How can I make TTS work again in the client?

• 1 month later...

So after a long time of not knowing what's going on, I had another sound issue within Windows 10, which led me to check all the sound devices again. I noticed that some device I neither can nor do use shows some output. I turned off this device, called Realtek Digital Output, and the sound shown to be output through this device was now redirected to the default playback device. Of course, the sound was expressed by Text-To-Speech, which, as it seems like, worked all along, it just never was perceivable, because it somehow didn't use the default device to be output, but a device that can't even be used. Thanks, Windows. At least the issue is solved now.