This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

"Add friend" option

NarrowMinded

Hello everyone !

I wanted to make a little joke to one of my friend on Mumble by connecting on the server we use with a new nickname and troll him saying that it is not me. But as soon as I came he explained me that he knew it was me because he could see my previous nickname using the friend feature. We did some tests together and apparently it's even working on different servers.

Then I started to wonder how this feature was working, like if I am taggued as friend by someone. What do I need to change to avoid being recognized ? Is the feature getting the ip adress ? A client number ? A component number of your PC ?

I am puzzled about this :)

• Administrators

Hello NarrowMinded,

I will gladly answer your technical interest. :)

Mumble introduced user certificates as a better alternative to passwords a long time ago.

Using a user certificate also means the public key signature can be shared across servers and other clients, while the private key part remains secret to only the user (asymmetric encryption).

So your friend adds your public user certificate signature and will be able to recognize you elsewhere, as long as you use that user certificate.

In the menu under Configure -> Certificate Wizard you have some options concerning the certificate (like creating a backup/export).

There is also the hidden launch parameter `-n`, which launches Mumble without user certificate handling. "Hidden" because we do not recommend using it, or end users or novice users using it, and it may not be officially supported. But it is obviously useful for ourselves for testing as well.

You can find more technical details concerning asymmetric encryption on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography