This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Why keybinds disappear regurarly ?

Electron

Hello the community,

I don't understand why keybinds disappear.

And this is happening with 2 differents computers :/

At least, it's possible to export keybinds ?

I have a lot of keybinds configured and it's a pain to configure all again...

Someone can help me ?

• Administrators

It normally works just fine.

Which OS? Windows? Keybindings are stored in the registry then. So it shouldn't really be possible to be an OS permission issue then.

Unless you created an ini settings file to use it in a portable mode?

There's been work for allowing exporting and importing shortcuts. But it looks like that did not land in 1.3 yet.

• 3 months later...

It normally works just fine.

Which OS? Windows? Keybindings are stored in the registry then. So it shouldn't really be possible to be an OS permission issue then.

Unless you created an ini settings file to use it in a portable mode?

There's been work for allowing exporting and importing shortcuts. But it looks like that did not land in 1.3 yet.

Thank for your interest, and sorry for the delay

It appears on Windows 7 (with admin rights) and Windows 10 (without admin rights) so indeed I don't think it's an OS permission.

And yes I would like to export shortcuts in a file but I would like to know why Mumble lost my binds...

• Administrators

About the lost settings I can only really point to the Windows registry. I don't know why they would become lost, unless the Windows user was changed, the registry reset/restored to an older state, or the settings in Mumble reset to defaults by the user.

• 3 months later...

I use the LINUX version. Recently I have upgraded to version 1.3.0 and my experience with that new version is limited. However, I have extensive experience, on LINUX, with old version 1.2.3. With that version, loss of keybindings was so commonplace that I created a "Frequently Asked Questions" article about it on the "Linux Air Combat" website, where Mumble is fundamental to our flight simulation activities. Here is the text of that FAQ, which seems relevant to this thread:

====================

Q32: Mumble sometimes loses its configuration, and I find it necessary to re-map all 26 of the Mumble "shortcuts" that are used to optimize Linux Air Combat. Then I re-run Mumble's "Wizard". Can I avoid this problem somehow?

A: Yes. In our experience, this problem is frequent among users that like to terminate Mumble without an orderly disconnection and "Server->exit" sequence. If you get in a hurry and just kill your Mumble client by clicking on the "x" at the top right corner of its frame, you are fairly likely to suffer from this bug. The orderly, well-behaved way to shut off Mumble is to select "Server" from its prominent drop-down menu, click on "Disconnect", and then select "Server" again, followed by a single click on "Quit Mumble". We don't know if this procedure avoids this bug 100% of the time, but we've had much better experience with Mumble ever since we discovered this disciplined behavioral pattern.

If you ever experience this problem, recovery is easiest if you delete your ~home/.config/Mumble folder. Activating Mumble after that will immediately launch its reconfiguration wizard, which will lead you easily through the steps that tune up your microphone and speaker volumes. Then, most players will want to rebuild their Mumble shortcuts. This is best done while you are connected to your favorite Mumble server, since some of the lost shortcuts are automatically restored for you in that case.

Kissaki, you wrote:

"There's been work for allowing exporting and importing shortcuts. But it looks like that did not land in 1.3 yet."

That's GREAT NEWS! I hope this enhancement is expedited. It will be of great benefit to my little community of users. I routinely configure LAC for them, and it's tedious. An import/export facility would be VERY helpful.

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

After a few weeks of experience with a more current, more advanced version of Mumble (Version 1.3 ) I must report that loss of keybindings still happens a lot under LINUX. It's discouraging. I urge my user community to configure 26 Mumble Shortcuts to optimize its use with my "Linux Air Combat" flight simulator, which results in a very nice Mumble interface. Those users that follow my advice report that it works very well, but within a few days they generally lose all of those shortcuts. Sometimes they try again, but the problem repeats and pretty soon they abandon those efforts.

The good news is that I have discovered "Mumble URLs" and I have enhanced Linux Air Combat to take advantage of them (I can do this because I wrote Linux Air Combat and have easy access to its source code). I have them working wonderfully with Mumble Version 1.3. Consequently, my users no longer need as many of those shortcuts if they are using Mumble Version 1.3. Whenever the situation demands voice communication, my flight simulator can automatically invoke Mumble for them and switch them to the appropriate Mumble channel on my Mumble server. The users don't need to do or configure anything, and the subject of custom Mumble key binding or "shortcuts" never even comes up.

I have not yet figured out how to make Mumble URLs work properly with Mumble Version 1.2.3, so users of Linux Air Combat that are still using that older version of Mumble still need to configure those 23 Mumble shortcuts. However, as I described earlier in this thread, if they are very careful to perform an orderly disconnect and shutdown when they are done with Mumble version 1.2.3, it doesn't lose those keybindings nearly so often.

Update: I HAVE NOW figured out how to make Mumble URLs work properly with every version of desktop Mumble since 1.2.3. Now none of my users need configure any of the problematic, channel-changing "shortcuts" any more. Everybody in my little "Linux Air Combat" community is a lot happier now.