This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Overlay On Linux

trymeout

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot get the overlay to work on any of my Linux games. I have tried native linux games such as CSGO and I have tried many games using Steam proton and non-steam games in Wine. Does the overlay work on linux?

Yes. Users of Linux Air Combat and old Mumble Version 1.2.3 have done this with good success and it is covered as our FAQ #24. I am appending that text below. (I do not know if this works with new Mumble V1.3.0 on Linux.) As you read this example for Linux Air Combat, replace references to "LAC" or "Lac07p59" with the name of the Linux game you are using.

=========================================================

FAQ24: Can I use Mumble's well-known "Overlay" with LAC?

A: Yes. However, experience with this Mumble "Overlay" reveals that it slows LAC down a bit. Typically, we see a 10% reduction in LAC's frame rate when the Mumble overlay is in use. Because LAC's "Mumble Panel" contains a highly optimized summary of the same kind of information that is available through the Mumble Overlay without that frame-rate impact, we cannot recommend using the Mumble Overlay unless your computer is powerful enough to deliver smooth frame rates.

If you want to use the Mumble Overlay, you can do so by using a specially expanded command line when launching LAC. The following command line, invoked from within the folder that contains the LAC executable program, has been used with success to do that in our development labs:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/mumble/libmumble.so.1.2.3 ./Lac07p59

That command consists of two character strings. The last is "./Lac07p59", which invokes the local, current version of LAC according to well-established LINUX norms. The first string consists of two parts separated by an equals sign.

To the left of the equals sign is the statement "LD_PRELOAD". That tells LINUX to load a library before executing LAC.

To the right of the equals sign is the full path to the appropriate mumble library implementing the overlay functions. In my case that library is at "/usr/lib64/mumble/libmumble.so.1.2.3".

I was able to find that library on my system with this "find" command from a root prompt:

find / -name libmumble* -print

Accordingly, on any modern linux system containing mumble, users should be able to su to root and issue this command:

find / -name libmumble* -print

Within a few seconds, LINUX should display the full path to any matching library files. Look for one that looks like "libmumble.so.1.1.1" or "libmumble.so.1.1.2" or "libmumble.so.1.2.3, etc.".

Make a note of the full path to the best matching filename. In my case, that was "/usr/lib64/mumble/libmumble.so.1.2.3".

Then use that full path to complete a command like this (as illustrated above):

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/mumble/libmumble.so.1.2.3 ./Lac07p59

I also learned how to customize Mumble's overlay and I've optimized it for use with LAC. The current, best arrangment places Mumble's overlay near the upper right-hand corner of the LAC window. Every Mumble user connected to the user's current mumble channel is listed by name in a small, nearly transparent list, which makes it very easy for the pilot to know who is in the mission and using Mumble on the proper channel. When any mumble user begins to transmit within the current channel, his displayed name brightens and turns yellow, making it prominent in the Mumble overlay list.