This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

My experience with Mumbling.

znote

I have been searching for voice communication programs to use.

I started using Ventrilo, found rooms to participate in, but was annoyed by the system they had, and the bad quality they had.

I also found it annoying that it was restricted to 8 users only. But the worst part was that you couldn't change the port to host it on.

Also teamspeak has a reputation for having a abnormal slow reputation, and teamspeak 3 for being expensive and not allowed to host any good servers yourself.

Skype has to much lag with echoing, one guy has a high mic, one guy has a low mic, one guy has a crappy quality mic with robot voice, one guy has a mic that makes weird voices, people use speakers not headset. Altogether it is like a living hell, on bandwidth and on the results.

Anyway, I was like, hmm, why does it have to be so pain in the ass to get a properly voice communication program up running!

And I though, well heck, its worth a chance, I'll do a sourceforge on it, if im lucky there is someone who had scratched up a free solution that works.

And I stumbled upon Mumble.

Then:

I started doing little research, "can only find the client, missing the server! D:" Was my first though. But I installed the client anyway just to test it out, and I found out during the installation, I could select to install server as well. (I was surprised!).

And then the microphone wizard, never seen anything this good before! This wizard really help you gaining the best results of no matter what microphone you have. You can choose how sensitive it shall be to noise, how strong it is. Well im no expert, you almost have to see it for yourself to understand how well made the wizard is.

Then, when I was connecting to a server, I would not come to an end point like on ventrilo, I got to a list, and I could find etc public servers in my country, and connect right into them. This was awesome. I could test out Mumble and participate in the voice community right ahead!

me and a friend of mine took it a test, joined an empty public server so we kinda had it for ourselves, there was no guys who randomly jumped into the channel and annoyed you. And when we launched the game "Heroes of Newerth" to take a round, we noticed our Mumble usernames was displayed in HoN, bolding as we speak. So it looked like Mumble somehow integrated itself with Heroes of Newerth, and even better, when we spoke, the sound of the game would reduce so its easier for us to hear them!

Anyway, after 1 round of HoN, I wanted to test out hosting it on my own instead of using a public server. When I clicked on Murmur, the server I installed with the client, it just became an icon to the bot right of my screen, and when I checked it there was some kind of error. And I gave up, lol. Didnt bother, I was just blaming windows for being gay.

I have a Ubuntu Server 10.04 connected to a 10/10Mbps line close by. But I have almost no experience with Linux at all, so for me to use command line, I though it would surely become a challenge.

Anyway, I pasted this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:slicer

As it says in the guide, however, I got an error, bad times! I was like, whats going on, I followed the guide! Why dosn't this work?!

Then, some googling and brainscratching, I managed to find another user who posted about it at a forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1320536

And I was like, hey! Looks like I am missing some weird think the recalled as "package python-software-properties"

So, it was time to continue my googling tour:

googling the package name and I found this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine

And since the site was huge, I knew from google results that it had found the word "python-software-properties" so I did ctrl + F and found the related information, at last, I got to the command I was looking for:

You had to write this command before you could use the command "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:slicer"

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties (I strongly advise that this should be added to the guide!) [ talking about this guide: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Installing_Mumble ]

Finally, it worked, it was like an orgasm looking at the terminal working instead of complaining! :D

then I used this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mumble

then 

sudo apt-get install mumble-server
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server

I think it was optional one way or another, but my linux experience is low, so I used both links to be on the safe side.

then I did sudo nano /etc/mumble-server.ini

And all I did was:

ctrl w after these lines:

welcometext=
port=
serverpassword=
bandwidth=
users=
registerName=

Uncommented and/or set a value to them. I changed the port from default to 7355.

Then I did sudo reboot (I don't think it was necessarily, but im so used to windows, after installing, reboot required!).

Anyway, when server booted up again and I logged in, all I did was to type "murmurd".

And then I was done! It was online fully working. :)

So on the client (program to connect to server with), I clicked on connect - add new... wrote the name of the server, ip and port and a random username.

Worked like a charm! :D

• Administrators
And then the microphone wizard, never seen anything this good before! This wizard really help you gaining the best results of no matter what microphone you have. You can choose how sensitive it shall be to noise, how strong it is. Well im no expert, you almost have to see it for yourself to understand how well made the wizard is.

Good to hear.

One hears more of those persons who don’t read the wizard at all (and then ofc. complain about sth they did not set up).

Then I did sudo reboot (I don't think it was necessarily, but im so used to windows, after installing, reboot required!).

No, Linux doesn’t need any reboots for installing normal apps.

Thank you for your detailed feedback / information / blog :)

Hehe no problem. :)

I am a well known person in the open tibia community. And I will create a tutorial/guide on how to set this up.

open tibia is like "wow private server" but its for a game called tibia. And we have a forum community there ( http://otland.net/forum.php ) that during the day (europe) has over 500 members online past 5 minutes~ average.

I am working on a tutorial/guide there, it will be great advertisement for you guys. :)