This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

spectator channels

elite194

I've been testing my mumble server setup and so far it has been stable for about a month now. The game I'm going to use it for is model train operations. In an operating session, a dispatcher needs to be able to talk to other channels, all channels and a private channel. A yardmaster needs a distinct channel that incoming and outgoing trains can talk to. Trains on the road need their own channel to talk to each other and the dispatcher should be monitoring that channel. These channels are not complex to create, but I'd like some advice on how to make them efficient.

For example, all trains should be able to talk among themselves in normal voice, but if they push to talk that traffic should be heard on the dispatch channel. Same with individual yardmasters, talk freely among the trains coming in or going out and push to talk to dispatch or trainmaster.

The special feature that I haven't figured out is having a spectator channel. Non-participants could be in a channel where they can hear all traffic, possibly at a lower volume, and be able to talk among themselves, but not be heard on any of the channels "in play."

What would be a best practice to setup a channel like this?

During an operating session there is a dedicated person who manages players and the channels that they are supposed to be in.

Any person entering the server that is not participating should be able to change from the main lobby to the spectator channel, the AFK channel or the "waiting to be assigned" channel for actual players.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The special feature that I haven't figured out is having a spectator channel. Non-participants could be in a channel where they can hear all traffic, possibly at a lower volume, and be able to talk among themselves, but not be heard on any of the channels "in play."

You can link the channels they are supposed to be able to hear, and then deny speak in those from this original channel.

For a simple setup ~out can be used to deny speak to everyone outside of the channel the ACL is defined on.

Maybe a visual, short/bulletpoint representation could help (me) understand your setup better if you are looking for more specific advice/the rule to use. A screenshot/list of your channel setup could already be helpful to provide context.