This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Strange Configuration Question

Wraith

I am trying to set up a server for a group and am struggling with getting the channel permissions the way I want them.

Let's assume the basic design I have is similar to the below and I have a defined group called MissionOfficers.

__Mission1BlueTeam
                  |         
  Mission1All-----|
                  |__Mission1RedTeam

__Mission2BlueTeam
                  |         
  Mission2All-----|
                  |__Mission2RedTeam

I want MissionOfficers to be able to sit in Mission1BlueTeam and talk amongst themselves, but be able to Shout to Mission1All and Mission1RedTeam without Mission2* hearing them. I also want MissionOfficers to be able to Shout from any Mission1* channel and be heard in the rest of the Mission1* channels, but not Mission2*.

Basically I want a private channel for the MissionOfficers (and anyone that pull in) where they can talk privately, and then I want MissionOfficers to be able to, on demand, speak to every member in Mission1 and below from any Mission1* channel (so speaking to Parent and Children from either Parent or Child).

I've gotten close, but my current issue is that a user in Mission1RedTeam can hear Shouts from MissionOfficers sitting in Mission2All.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

As red should hear blue when the shout target is the parent channel all three channels need to be linked. This way shouting will be heard by every participant.

Three three channels in Mission2 will be linked as well, amongst themselves, but not to Mission1.

The channels are now linked and everyone can hear each other. I am thinking it may be possible/should work to deny speak to sibling channels while allowing it on the parent. This way red does not hear blue, but shouting to the parent is still audible to both.

For this setup see https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/ACL_and_Groups/English#Channel_Group_-_Speak_to_children_but_not_siblings

I want MissionOfficers to be able to sit in Mission1BlueTeam and talk amongst themselves, but be able to Shout to Mission1All and Mission1RedTeam without Mission2* hearing them. I also want MissionOfficers to be able to Shout from any Mission1* channel and be heard in the rest of the Mission1* channels, but not Mission2*.

That is the same thing, right?