This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Will latency be reduced on Linux vs Windows?

Andy

Hi, 

I spent a lot of time to measure the latency of a signal coming form a Windows selfhosted murmur to an on Windows running mumble client. I compared this solution with other voip-like solutions for ham radio remote operations and murmur/mumble on Windows combo beat the others out at about 300ms (internet latency was about 45 ms between the two servers, no VPN but port forwarding).

Now, I understand that Windows has a high latency audio chain to begin with. Do you think my latency will get lower, if I most murmur on a different OS, maybe a RasPI? And what about running mumble on the other side also on a different platform?  Should I expect latency improvements?

Thanks,

Andy

• Administrators

Hi,

Hosting the server on another operating system will probably not make much difference, but it's definitely another story with the client.

More specifically, we support JACK on UNIX, allowing to achieve extremely low audio latency.

Regarding Windows: https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/3503

Davide