This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Debian Repositories/Packages

studog1999

I am currently running several Murmur servers on a Win2K3 Server and was thinking of off loading them on to a Debian Server that is sitting idle, so I could take more advantage of the apache2 and PHP admin options as I would like to expand my Murmur server out a bit. I am unsure of how things are moved around and or updated on the Debian repositories, But I was wondering if Mumble is ever going to be updated into the stable repositories.

Right now under the stable repositories at http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages the 1.1.4 server and client are listed.

• mumble (1.1.4-4+lenny1)

Low latency VoIP client

mumble-server (1.1.4-4+lenny1)

Low latency VoIP server

mumble-server-web (1.1.4-4+lenny1)

Web scripts for mumble-server

Now I do see that some newer packages have been moved from lenny-volatile to squeeze http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/allpackages but this still leaves a very old client and server in the stable area.

• mumble (1.2.2-4+b1)

Low latency VoIP client

mumble-11x (1.2.2-4+b1)

Low latency VoIP client (1.1.x)

mumble-dbg (1.2.2-4+b1)

Low latency VoIP client (debugging symbols)

mumble-django (2.3-1)

A Mumble-Server web interface

mumble-server (1.2.2-4+b1)

Low latency VoIP server

mumble-server-web (1.2.2-4)

Web scripts for mumble-server

My Debian server has a clean install and as I am a bit OCD about how things get installed "Neat and Clean" I would like to get things nice and tidy so that I can let my user have at the admin consoles for there Murmur only. That way I can keep the server side untouched as it is supposed to be and do easy upgrades as new servers are released! Also if anyone has a good guide to setting up a Debian server for multiple Murmur servers using say the Django setup. I would be most interested in that as I would like to setup a shared hosted box for friends with a sub-domain pointing to a status screen for there setup and can have there admin login and administer there server.

As I recall, there are some dependencies missing in the stable branch of Debian for the 2+ murmur server. These packages are also not in the backports, so they will also not help. One bright spot is that the testing branch of Debian has been frozen in the beginning of August. Which means a new stable will come, but when is anyones guess.

If you want to setup a version 2+ murmur on a stable Debian system you will need to compile murmur and the missing dependencies yourself.

For the second quest I don't have the answer.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• Administrators

Debian has always been a “slower” repo; what makes is very stable though as well.

Personaly, I prefer using the static builds of murmur. I can then also just use 1 folder for it, instead of it being in the debians folders /etc, /log, and somewhere in a /bin.

• Moderators

squeeze will be the next stable Debian version (when it's done... I don't know the current release plan) and stable almost never gets major updates. Debian stable is always security and/or bugfixes only and the current stable version is missing some of the dependencies which are required to compile a newer version.

In general: If you're using Debian stable, you have to live with old software or upgrade it on your own (unless there is a backport).