This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Lost in translation

rawnar

One important milestone for any Mumble release is freezing the text-strings. After a freeze, no changes are allowed, which means our translators can start working. For this release, we’d like a bit of help proofing and checking the strings before we freeze them. Continue reading ....

I have started this topic, because the comment options of the blog seem limited. This way you can also post your comments about the translatable strings here.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

There is a list of strings that are untranslatable:

{<-}, {->}, {%2}, {%1}, {%1(%2)}, {%3}, {%1}, {%2%1:%3}, {...}, {,}, {,}, {%1.%2.%3(%4)}, {%1(%2)}, {%1 %2}, {00:00:00}

Strings that consists of a place holder and a unit, maybe don't need to be translated in any language:

{%1 ms}, {%1 s}, {%1 kb/s}, {-%1 dB}, {%1 min}, {%1 ms}, {%1 %}, {%1 m}, {>1000 ms}, {%1 ms}, {%1 kbit/s}, {%1%}, {%1w}, {%1d}, {%1h}, {%1m}, {%1s}, {%1 kbit/s}

BTW, "m" is not the unit of minutes but "min"

There are some strings that are related to pre-defined short-cuts which don't need translation:

{Crtl+Q}, {Crtl+B}, Crtk+I}, {Crtl+U}, {Crtl+L}

In the section AudioInput "audio cue" and "audio cues" are mixed. I think for all cases "audio cues" needs to be used.

In the section Certificates it is unclear what is meant by a "strong certificate". Is it a certificate by a CA(whatever that may mean) or is it a different type of certificate that can be selected. In the same section there is a sentence that is just too long:

"If you are upgrading to a certificate issued to you by a trusted CA and the email addresses match your current certificate, this is completely safe, and servers you connect to will automatically recognize the strong certificate for your email address."

Splitting it up in two will make it easier to read:

"It is completely safe, if you are upgrading to a certificate issued to you by a trusted CA and the email addresses match your current certificate. In the future, the servers you connect to will automatically recognize the strong certificate for your email address."

Then there are some sentences that don't flow nicely:

"This means when the last player leaves it the channel will be automatically deleted by the server."

suggestion: "This means when the last player leaves the channel it will be automatically deleted by the server."

"However, many soundcards report that they require a much smaller buffer than what they can actually work with, so the only way to set this value is to try and fail."

suggestion:"However, many soundcards report that they require a much smaller buffer than what they can actually work with, so the only way to set this value is by trail and error."

"Thank you for helping make Mumble better!"

suggestion:"Thanks for your help, making Mumble better!"

"Mumble failed to initialize a database in any of the possible locations."

suggestion:"Mumble failed to initialize a database at any of the possible locations."

"This option decides the minimum width a column in the User View."

susggestion:"This option decides the minimum width of a column in the User View."

"If something suddenly worsens the audio environment (like dropping the microphone) and it was temporary, use this to avoid having to wait for the preprocessor to readjust."

suggestion:"If something suddenly worsens the audio environment (like dropping the microphone) and it was temporary, use this to avoid having to wait for the preprocessor to re-adjust."

"This will toggle minimal mode, where the log window and menu is hidden."

suggestion:"This will toggle minimal mode, for which the log window and menu are hidden."

"Query server for connection information for user"

suggestion:"Query server for connection information of user"

"Mumble has a small development team, and as such needs to focus its development where it is needed most."

suggestion:"Mumble has a small development team, and as such needs to focus its development where it is needed the most."

"Failed to load overlay library. This means either that: - the library (mumble_ol.dll) wasn't found in the directory you ran Mumble from - you're on an OS earlier than WinXP SP2"

suggestion:"Failed to load overlay library. This means either that:

- the library (mumble_ol.dll) wasn't found in the directory you ran Mumble from

- you're on an OS earlier than WinXP SP2"

Then there are two sentences which I do not understand:

"This inherits all the members in the group from the parent, if the group is marked as Inheritable in the parent channel."

Which group from the parent?

"If set, will verify you want to quit if connected."

This is not English, in my opinion.

The last sentence that I want to point out is more a error message then a translatable string.

"Unknown Channel Drag mode in UserModel::dropMimeData."

Have fun with it.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Minchia, vaffanculo. :x There goes my valuable time. Took me several hours to read through all the strings. And this weekend I did not had access to a computer with internet. Tried to post it as soon as possible this morning, but the blog did not except my comment.

Some notes.

- Some of the untranslatable string are translatable as there are languages that are read from right to left. :-)

- This also accounts for the place holders with a unit behind it. And some countries do use the SI units, but write them out phonetic.