This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Left 4 Dead 2 & Team Fortress 2 plugins

tremors06

Hi, I'm wondering if someone may be able to offer some assistance. I'm giving Mumble 1.2.2 a roadtest at the moment with some teammates and we're having trouble getting the positional audio features to work in a couple of games that we play.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and my friend is running Windows Vista Home 64-bit.

The games we're having issue with are Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) and Team Fortress 2 (TF2) both of which are installed through Steam. We got the positional audio working for Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare (again installed through Steam) after running the Mumble 1.2.2 client with full admin rights; and have to say we were impressed with the results. However we're not having so much luck with L4D2 and TF2. When playing L4D2 Mumble says "Left 4 Dead 2 linked", yet teammates' voice audio comes out of both left and right speakers equally. When playing TF2, Mumble doesn't report that the link is active. I have ensured that "Positional Audio" option is selected and "Link to Game and Transmit Position" is selected when playing both games.

Are there some settings that we're missing to get the positional audio to work? In which case I'd would appreciate some pointers as to what needs to be setup. Or could it be that Mumble's Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2 positional audio plugins required an update? As both games have had some major updates recently.

Putting the version command into the developer console screen of L4D2 I receive this information:

Version 2.0.4.8 (left4dead2)

Network Version 2.0.4.2

Exe build: 10:47:36 Oct 13 2010 (4346) (550)

The Mumble 1.2.2 plugin refers to L4D2 Build 4079.

On TF2 I get this information regarding version:

Protocol version 15

Exe version 1.1.1.2 (tf)

Exe build: 18:13:13 Oct 4 2010 (4349)

The Mumble 1.2.2 plugin refers to TF 2 Build 4097. I'm presuming the number in brackets is the build version of each game?

Any assistance on this matter would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Tremors06

• Administrators

With each update the positional audio data has to be adjusted. As there were a ton of updates recently updating the plugin is paused, as it'd be a lot of work to keep up with all those small and big updates every few days.

Also, the snapshots (next version) has some updated plugins.

But for the 2 you mentioned, L4D2 and TF2 they're still outdated. You'll have to wait a bit. :)

If you wanna help, check http://mumble.sourceforge.net/HackPositionalAudio