This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Some questions regarding Murmur on Linux.

znote

Hello, I heard SQLITE is fastest. But how can I manage it?

I tried installing

MAP - Mumb1e Admin Plugin

But in installation process it looks like it forces me to use Mysql.

Question 1: Is there any web based admin panel that allows me to create channels, on sqlite?

Question 2: I got things up and running, installed it. I only have 1 channel, how do I login to admin so I can etc ban users?

Question 3: How can I make Murmur into mysql? Just enter phpmyadmin, make a new database, and write the info in /etc/mumble-server.ini and it will automatically import the database there? Dont I need to write some queries or import a schema before doing this?

Question 4: I heard sqlite is faster than mysql. What does this mean? That if I use mysql people will have bigger latency to the server and speech will transfer slower? Or that it just takes a little longer to process users and connections to server. Once your in its all the same?

Question 5: Can you please link me some good documentation for this? I have googled but apparently I suck at it. I can find documentation like FAQ and installation process. But it really dosnt help me that much out.

Question 6: ICE is running on my comp, or at least it is listening.

ubuntu3@UbuntuServ3:~$ sudo netstat -apn | grep 6502
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6502          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN 

Do I need to do anything then? I am totally lost here.

Sorry for so many questions!

Q1: I think MumPI will just interact with murmur through Ice so murmur will maintain the sqlite database. Is MAP forcing you to setup a mysql for murmur or for MAP itself?

Q2: Read the wiki page. There you will see you can set a SuperUser password. With this password you can login with mumble to a murmur server and have total control.

Q3: Just stick with sqlite, but there is some info in the murmur.ini how to connect to a mysql database.

Q4: The performance of the database will have little to no effect on the latency. No. Yes.

Q5: No answer for that yet, but you can always try the search box of the wiki page.

Q6: Ice is used as a RPC (remote procedure call), this can be used by other application, like web-interfaces, to control murmur. The settings look good, this will give control to applications running on the same computer.

Edited by rawnar

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• Administrators

In general the official wiki is a good source,

no need to search the web first.

Check the wiki first, if that doesn't help you can try the net.

Q2: Read the wiki page. There you will see you can set a SuperUser password. With this password you can login with mumble to a murmur server and have total control.[/url]

See http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Running_Murmur#Setting_the_SuperUser_Password

Sqlite is a database that’s kept in memory while connected; that's what makes it fast.

As rawnar said, murmur manages sqlite. You should use Ice to manage / change data. Ice -> Murmur -> SQLite

Communication is not done though sqlite. Sqlite is only needed for persistent data. Channels, registrations, comments, bans, etc.

MySQL is working but not really supported. If you upgrade murmur to a newer version where the data structure changed you may have to manually adapt your mysql database. Etc.

Q3: I'm not sure. Just try. Nothing to lose there.

I'd recommend using sqlite though. See half-un-supported above. And there's nothing to gain from using mysql in my opinion.

If you do think there is, name it and I can tell you the recommended way of doing it. :P (which is probably though Ice)

Whohaw. I tried that MumPI, sounds awesome. But having minor problems with ICE on php.

Well, I entered, looked great, installation succeed kinda smoothly. But when I logged into the admin I got a problem, it said I didnt have ICE enabled on php? So I though... hmm easiest way.. Prolly apt-get

And I did sudo apt-get install php-zeroc-ice

I am using Lighttpd btw. :p

Well, result was that after installing php-zeroc-ice, when I enter page it just comes wit ha blank result. Blank white page. Nothing more.

/var/log/lighttpd/error.log:

2010-11-03 15:37:02: (mod_fastcgi.c.2711) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getVersion() on a non-object in /var/www/murmur/classes/ServerInterface.php on line 134

2010-11-03 16:41:38: (mod_fastcgi.c.2711) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getServer() on a non-object in /var/www/murmur/classes/ServerInterface.php on line 192

//Rebooting to enable ICE I recently installed // <>

2010-11-03 16:44:06: (server.c.1503) server stopped by UID = 0 PID = 2736

2010-11-03 16:44:22: (log.c.166) server started

2010-11-03 16:44:44: (mod_fastcgi.c.2711) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Ice_ObjectPrx::ice_checkedCast(): no Slice definition found for type ::Murmur::Meta in /var/www/murmur/classes/ServerInterface.php on line 53

2010-11-03 16:44:47: (mod_fastcgi.c.2711) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Ice_ObjectPrx::ice_checkedCast(): no Slice definition found for type ::Murmur::Meta in /var/www/murmur/classes/ServerInterface.php on line 53

2010-11-03 16:44:48: (mod_fastcgi.c.2711) FastCGI-stderr: PHP Fatal error: Ice_ObjectPrx::ice_checkedCast(): no Slice definition found for type ::Murmur::Meta in /var/www/murmur/classes/ServerInterface.php on line 53

Using Ubuntu Server 10.04

Any help highly appreciated!