This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Proximity chat won't work

MilkMadeforFolding

I have connected to a server and am able to hear others but the proximity won't work, no matter how far away I am from them I can hear them and the volume does not change but the proximity chat works for them just not me and one other of the party members. I have positional audio selected and applied. I am on Minecraft Hypixel and get well out of range that is set and I can still hear them and am able to tell their direction even having the exact same settings of a guy who does have it working and restarting many times on both my Minecraft client and Mumble. It was working for a bit but out of nowhere it stopped and now it doesn't. As far as I know, we are all on up to date windows 64-bit and on mumble version 1.3.4 please help me when you can

• Administrators
15 hours ago, MilkMadeforFolding said:

I can still hear them and am able to tell their direction

Okay so this means that the plugin is able to link to the game and extract at least some information out of it.

A few questions regarding this:

1. Where did you get a Minecraft plugin for Mumble from? Afaik Mumble does not ship with one by default. Aka: What did you download from where and where did you put that in order to install it?
  2. Have you double-checked that you are running the same version of the plugin as your friends?
  3. Are you all using the exact same version of Minecraft (exact same patch-level)?

1. Lunar client is my client and the plugin I didn't download anything I just clicked apply to all of them in the Mumble application. I downloaded the mumble app from the first link on google and the two just automatically worked after I turned the mumble function on in lunar client.

I'll get back to you on the others once I wake up and check with them

• Administrators

According to their FAQ, you can get support for their client here:

http://lunarclient.com/support

It appears to be a link to their Discord server. Could you check to see if positional audio is working for another game listed under Plugins?

• Administrators

Ah okay. In that case I think you'll have to report the issue to them. Given that you are able to hear the direction of other players, the transmission of positional data and its processing in the audio backend seems to work. My suspicion is that the Lunar client does not set/send the distance of different players for some reason.

EDIT: I also joined their Discord and will try to figure out what's going on. But you should still report your problem yourself in order to receive proper support from the folks that actually know how their client works ^^

• Administrators

I just spoke with a Lunar Client developer and was told that the issue you are describing should have been fixed with an update about a month ago (see https://www.lunarclient.com/patch-notes/03-21-21/). Did you verify that you are using the latest version of Lunar client?

EDIT: In order to make sure: Please make a screenshot of the commit-ID in the main menu and upload it here.

• Administrators

In general you will get better help if you join the linked Discord for the Lunar Client and create a ticket on there.

This is because this is almost certainly an issue on the Lunar Client side and not on the Mumble side.

• Administrators

@MilkMadeforFolding what you can do in order to troubleshoot this, is grab a friend and use the "Manual plugin" in Mumble instead. Select that plugin in the Plugins menu and click the Configure button. That brings up a new dialog in which you can manually specify your position. Note that you have to manually enter a context as well (which has to be the same for your friend) and then check the "Link" checkbox. After both of you have seen the message about the manual plugin having linked in the chatbar, experiment with the position and how that affects audio.

With that you should be able to explore the full proximity chat options that exist and with that you should experience fading volume with increasing distance.

• Administrators

FWIW we have received another report about this and there it turns out that the "minimum volume" setting was the issue. It currently defaults to 80% which seems to be barely audible. If you don't want to hear distant players at all, turn this down to 0%.