This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble and LOTRO

markan79

Hi

I am in the process of evaluating Mumble with a view to moving my guild over to it for our voice comms. We did a pilot a few months ago and were impressed but having just moved to TS3 we held off. Unfortunately going back to it now a couple of key features seem to no longer be working.

* The directional audio is no longer working. I know that this will be the result of a change to LOTRO, but has anyone got it working again? I can't see it listed in the tracker either and I wanted to check before logging it

* The overlay isn't working in DX10 or DX11 in LOTRO. This is obviously a big issue as it’s a great feature in Mumble. I know DX11 isn't supported (and add me to the list of people that would love it quickly!) but it also no longer works in DX10. It does work if I drop back to DX9. Any thoughts on what I can check? DX11 will only affect some people, but DX10 is in use by almost everyone.

I tested both in 1.2.2 and also again in the latest 1.2.3 snapshot. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

• Administrators

Are you sure it worked with DX10 in the past? (I’m not quite sure, but you’re probably right …)

As for the positional audio, yes, updated games often break it.

Unless someone (anyone can do it, see Hack Positional Audio in the wiki) updates the plugin, it will not work.

I don’t know who did the LOTRO in the past, maybe he’ll write later.

Anyway, you and / or some of your guildmates could learn how to update the plugins, as you’re in the frontline there. :) Maybe you even know other guilds interested in this.

Just checked the source.

It was someone named seaeagle1 on SF. Or Ingaras.

Last updated in May.

Are you sure it worked with DX10 in the past? (I’m not quite sure, but you’re probably right …)

I can't be 100% sure but I am as sure as I can be. About 6 of us tested it around a year ago and all got it working. At least 1 of us must have been on DX10 then

As for the positional audio, yes, updated games often break it.

Unless someone (anyone can do it, see Hack Positional Audio in the wiki) updates the plugin, it will not work.

I don’t know who did the LOTRO in the past, maybe he’ll write later.

Anyway, you and / or some of your guildmates could learn how to update the plugins, as you’re in the frontline there. :) Maybe you even know other guilds interested in this.

Just checked the source.

It was someone named seaeagle1 on SF. Or Ingaras.

Last updated in May.

I'll take a look at the link and see if it's something that I might be able to blunder through ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that the overlay used to work in DX10, and doesn't do so now on the latest 1.2.3 snapshot. Wasn't sure wether it was the Lotro or Mumble update that killed it though (they came about the same time).

As for the positional audio, I've not have gotten around to find the new memory locations yet since the latest update (which was only a few weeks ago for me). But I'll be happy to update them as soon as I've got time.

I can confirm that the overlay used to work in DX10, and doesn't do so now on the latest 1.2.3 snapshot. Wasn't sure wether it was the Lotro or Mumble update that killed it though (they came about the same time).

As for the positional audio, I've not have gotten around to find the new memory locations yet since the latest update (which was only a few weeks ago for me). But I'll be happy to update them as soon as I've got time.

It was LOTRO I think. I tried 1.2.2 and that no longer works either :(

If you get a chance to look at positional audio that would be great. I have had a quick look but I would be fumbling around a bit so it may take me a while to get to the bottom of it :)

I will see about raising a bug for the overlay.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm there is a problem, on some systems, and which appeared quite recently, regarding the Mumble overlay in LotRO.

I am playing LotRO on a european (French) server.

My kinship started using Mumble (1.2.2) as an alternative voice system in April 2010. At that time, the Overlay system appeared to work fine for all who tried it.

Recently (I did not notice when exactly, but I would say within the last month), it stopped working on several systems, including my own. Though, it appears to be still running on some systems.

I cannot see any major change in my system since we started using Mumble (see below DxDiag results, around the time we started using it and today) , so I would suspect a change in the way LotRO handles the display causing the problem.

I even got a report that it resumed working on the system of one of our officers, after it had stopped working some time ago... I will try to investigate further on this case, checking if a possible cause for this behavior can be found.

Christophe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extract of DxDiag report, before the time we started using Mumble

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 2/17/2010, 17:43:34

Machine name: APPOLON

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Édition Intégrale (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.091208-0542)

Language: French (Regional Setting: French)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

System Model: G71GX

BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/06/09 11:36:19 Ver: 08.00.14

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 6142MB RAM

Page File: 2823MB used, 9586MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_202B1043&REV_A2

Display Memory: 3056 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1009 MB

Shared Memory: 2046 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (61Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7930 (English)

DDI Version: 10

BGRA Supported: Yes

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/16/2008 08:02:59, 5971968 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4558-11CF-096D-200002C2CA35}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extract of DxDiag report, performed today (with the overlay problem ongoing)

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/9/2010, 04:08:57

Machine name: APPOLON

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Édition Intégrale (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)

Language: French (Regional Setting: French)

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

System Model: G71GX

BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/06/09 11:36:19 Ver: 08.00.14

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9000 @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 6142MB RAM

Page File: 5202MB used, 7218MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 260M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0618&SUBSYS_202B1043&REV_A2

Display Memory: 3056 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1009 MB

Shared Memory: 2046 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (61Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Driver Name: nvd3dum,nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2um, nvwgf2umx.dll

Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7930 (English)

DDI Version: 10

BGRA Supported: Yes

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/16/2008 08:02:59, 5971968 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4558-11CF-096D-200002C2CA35}

Edited by chris-massucco

Based on a sample of 3 people it is currently working in DX10 for an ATI card (Catalyst 10.11) and not working on 2 nVidia cards. It would be useful to see if that is common I'm sure.

The Winter-home patch also seems to have broken positional audio again :(

As shown in the DxDiag report extracts, in my previous message, my system already had DirectX 11 installed before the problem surfaced for me.

As I am no DirectX, or Mumble, expert, I am not sure what you exactly mean by:

The overlay works in DX9 mode. It works for some people in DX10 mode and doesn't work in DX11 mode.

but could the reason for the problem be that LotRO was previously using some DirectX 9 compatibility modes/functions (compatible with the Mumble overlay), on DirectX11/DirectX10 systems, and is no longer doing so since some recent update?

Christophe