This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Father going astray when trying to install Mumble and Murmur

dwolters

Hi,

As a father of an eight-year-old, I got tired to hear my son and his mates shouting to each other when playing some game over our LAN, sitting in different rooms with a PC each. So I asked around and people were telling me that I should get TeamSpek, or I would be better of with Ventrilo, or I should definitely go for Mumble. So I did! I dowloaded the package and clicked that I wanted to install the client, the server and Bonjour as I thought I understood the information correctly as this was going to be a small voice over IP-project for our inhouse LAN, which meant I would have the server (Murmur) and the client (Mumble) on one PC, and then just the client on all the others (four PC:s in total)... The Bonjour service would help me find Murmur on our LAN which meant that I did not had to get into the router and set fixed IP-addresses for the PC:s, right???

Now it seems that I have installed the client. And I can see Murmur running in the systems tray. But no I don't know what to do next!

I have tried to understand the "Murmurguide", where I think I should go for the next step, and I have also managed to find the Murmur.ini file which I understand is crucial, only I feel a bit intimidated this "crude" kind of computing.

So I guess it is from here that I would be very happy if someone gently could guide me on what steps to take in order to set up my first voice chat service for my son and his friends and to run exclusively on our LAN! Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

So you wanna run it on windows systems only? Server and client?

And you're looking for only using it on LAN, not internet?

In your mumble folder open murmur.ini

Change

#bonjour=True

to

bonjour=True

(= remove the # in front to uncomment it).

Then (re)start your murmur server (rightclick on statusbar icon and quit and run it again).

That should be all you need to do on the server side.

Try to find it with the client and bonjour then.

Thanks Kissaki!

After having managed to change the properties of the murmur.ini file in order to be able to save it after having un-commented the line with "bonjour", I noticed that I was not able to connect at all. So I tried to re-install the Bonjour service from the Mumble-1.2.2 installtion files again, but nothing happened this time either. Then I went to Apples web site and downloaded Bonjour Printservicec for Windows and this time I was able to "see" the server from any of the PC connected to our LAN! I also changed the name of the Murmur Server to something more appropriate.

However, every time I login to the Murmur server with Mumble there is a dialogue telling me that the "Server presented a certificate which failed verification... 1. The host name did not match any of the valid hosts for this certificate. 2. The cerificate is self-signed, and untrusted. Do you wish to accept this cerificate anyway?"

Is there anyway to get rid of that dialogue once and for all?

• Administrators

This is a security feature and that message should pop up only once.

Mh, thinking about it, maybe it will every time for bonjour, I'm not sure which address it connects to then; a bonjour address or the LAN IP …

The message you get is because the server certificate is checked for the server address.

After accepting it once Mumble remembers it the next time as well, the address <-> certificate pair. If either of them changes it will ask you again of course, as it's new and could be someone faking a server etc (that's the security aspect; be sure the server at a specific address is the same the next time you connect).

Do you get the message each time you connect? (with same client)

Strong certificates (which cost something most of the time) will not be asked for acceptance but silently accepted by Mumble.

Murmur has a self-generated certificate by default, thus has to be accepted on first connect, as it is not “strong” aka signed by someone else “trustworthy” / signed.

Thanks again!

No, you are right! It only comes up the first time (though once on every computer!)...

Do you know how to get across the possible errors to the development team behind Mumble regarding the installation process and that it did not properly installed the Bonjour service (at least not on my Windows 7 64-bit machine)?

I have also noticed that if I change the welcome message in the murmur.ini file it does not handle accented charcters like å, ä and ö correctly...

• Administrators

Do you know how to get across the possible errors to the development team behind Mumble regarding the installation process and that it did not properly installed the Bonjour service (at least not on my Windows 7 64-bit machine)?

They read this forum occasionally.

You could also file a bug ticket https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=147372&atid=768005

I have also noticed that if I change the welcome message in the murmur.ini file it does not handle accented charcters like å, ä and ö correctly...

You probably edited the file in wrong encoding.

Make sure you edit it as an UTF-8 file.

Use a capable text editor like notepad++ instead of notepad and select the encoding.

• Administrators

Unfortunately our installers can no longer install bonjour. Apple removed the download we used to grab. Licensing does not permit us to bundle or host ourselves :-( We are still searching for the best way to handle this for the next release.

Just FYI @ bugreports: Our trackers for feature & bugs can be found on our sourceforge page.