This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Create AFK Channel

selits

Sorry if this has been posted, I have tried searching here and google but can't find information..

How do you create an AFK Channel in Mumble where it auto puts people in it as muted and deafened and then when they leave the channel it removes it? I'm a recently new Mumble user after using Ventrilo for years and the config is a bit different.

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

There’s no auto-move on idle in Mumble / Murmur.

Personally, we use an afk chan where speak is denied, thus muting users going in there.

You could also add a ice callback script / cron which checks (periodically) and moves players to idle.

Thanks for the reply.. I don't actually mean it moves people to the channel when idle. I mean when people go afk they move themselves there and the channel automatically mutes and deafens themselves. On Vent, this was very simple. Is it even possible with mumble atm?

I have speak denied but I guess people can still server events like people joining the server

• Administrators

Yes,

make a chan, edit its ACL,

add @all group to the bottom and deny speak.

That's all for muting.

Unfortunately there’s no setting for being able to listen (as why should you be able to join a channel but then not hear anything, thus being deafened?).

People are to deafen themselves if they really do not want to hear anything when AFK, or you’ll have to do an ice callback script listening for chan-changes of users and deafen them when they enter that specific chan.

Personally I think that’d a bit too much work for so little / no use.

People can set up their client finely-grained and deafen themselves. How they want it.

I don’t get what you mean with

I have speak denied but I guess people can still server events like people joining the server
?

even scripts that can check "idle" time in mumble are not going to perform the same as ventrilo and teamspeak currently do. Idle time needs to be based off of keyboard/mouse activity, and not just mumble transmit activity. It has been suggested several times:

https://sourceforge.net/search/?group_artifact_id=768008&type_of_search=artifact&group_id=147372&words=idle

My idea for it would be something in the server .ini would be something like this:

-------------

#how long before a user is marked as AFK by the server (in seconds)

AFKtimer = 7200

#the channel ID where a user should be moved to when flagged as AFK. The server will auto-mute the user.

AFKchannel = 10

--------------

• 1 year later...

i would love this. i have an afk channel on my mumble server so people know to go there just like our old vent server, but many people forget to move themselves in there and then get mad at you if you start talking in the middle of the night and they didnt turn off their speakers. i used to have my vent set to send people in after 30 minutes of inactivity, would love to see a similar feature on mumble!