This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

How is Priority Speaker supposed to work?

realnc

I found a problem with the “priority speaker” thingy. It doesn’t work :P When I try it on myself, only I can hear a difference in other people’s volume.

How is it supposed to work? Doesn’t this come from the server? Do all people need to connect with Mumble 1.2.3? If yes, how can I only allow people with 1.2.3 or higher to connect to the server?

The Murmur server is 1.2.3 RC.

• Moderators

The server does no processing of the audio data and the volume change is done on the client, only 1.2.3 clients will hear a difference.

Limiting the server to 1.2.3 clients would require an Ice script or a modified server version.

The server does no processing of the audio data and the volume change is done on the client, only 1.2.3 clients will hear a difference.

Limiting the server to 1.2.3 clients would require an Ice script or a modified server version.

Do you have any info on how to modify the server to accept only 1.2.3+?

• Moderators

This patch (or something similar) should work:

diff --git a/src/murmur/Messages.cpp b/src/murmur/Messages.cpp
index a682691..4f0d7ea 100644
--- a/src/murmur/Messages.cpp
+++ b/src/murmur/Messages.cpp
@@ -188,6 +188,12 @@ void Server::msgAuthenticate(ServerUser *uSource, MumbleProto::Authenticate &msg
               ok = false;
       }

+       if (uSource->uiVersion < 0x010203) {
+               reason = QString::fromLatin1("An 1.2.3 or newer client is required to connect to this server");
+               rtType = MumbleProto::Reject_RejectType_WrongVersion;
+               ok = false;
+       }
+
       if (! ok) {
               log(uSource, QString("Rejected connection: %1").arg(reason));
               MumbleProto::Reject mpr;

• Administrators

An alternative to patching and compiling the server would be to use an ice callback.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/slice/Murmur/ServerCallback.html#userConnected

Although I do wonder now if you can even disconnect that user … Probably not.

So the Server patch is probably the best / only way to do it. Especially as it also gives a reason the user will understand / can read.

Gah. Linux users can't download 1.2.3 since no binaries are provided. I think the following is the correct check in that case?

if (uSource->uiVersion < 0x010203 && uSource->qsOS != "X11") //...

"X11" is always used for Linux, right?