This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Virtual server without webinterface

deamosreapos

Hello,

I am trying to set up a virtual server. But this aint working. I work through the command line since using a webinterface will use too much memory (yes low memory VPS) I tried the guide as stated on the main-site. But when I do the "newServer() call" I get only returned: ">" So what are the syntax to be able to do anything. And am I doing this corectly? Some help/advice would be greatly apriciated!

Greetings Wouter Lambermont

• Administrators
the guide as stated on the main-site

There’s more than one guide in the wiki … so … !?

You don’t have to run the webinterface on the same machine as your Murmur runs.

You can bind Ice to listen on all ips and not just local, make sure to secure it with an icesecret then though. (See Murmur.ini for details.)

You may also want to try using a commandline/GUI tool so you don’t have to setup a webinterface with webserver. If you already have a webserver running somewhere and can install the necessary Ice bindings thats still a valid/best choice though.

http://mumble.sf.net/3rd_Party_Applications

Thats the problem. I dont want to work with ICE. Cause even though it is quite secure its not that hard to gain acces. But as I said how can I fill in the new sever call with proper syntax. I did manged to get multiple servers running next to each other, or is that a "virtual" server? (doubt it since it uses a complete new .ini file)

• Administrators

Virtual servers are run within one process, which is started with just one ini.

Thus, no, that's not a virtual server.

Changing the default Ice port to sth different and using a password is pretty secure. You could also add a firewall and only allow access from specific ip ranges or sth.

If you want even more secure Ice, you could use a firewall and only open the port when you want to access it, and close it when you're done.

If you don't wanna use Ice, the obsolte D-Bus may be an option for you.

You'll have to check the wiki if there's still some doc for it. There probably is.

It may have enough functionality for vserver controlling and configuration.

You still did not point out which guide you were referring to,

how and what you did on the command line.

• Administrators

Enable Ice on Murmur (specificy a port and icesecret),

then set up a webinterface you can make available only locally,

yes. That's possible.

You mean homebox = PC in your LAN? So you wanna make the webinterface available in LAN but not to internet? Possible as well, yes.