This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

I setup a server, but people can't talk

fstinglmayr

Hello all,

Sorry if I didn't hit the right forum though, but: I have been trying to setup a rather private mumble server for days now, but whoever connects cannot talk to each other. I opened both TCP and UDP port 64738 on the server, and the client application can connect just fine. People can send messages to each other, and create temporary rooms. But when ever one tries to speak no one else hears him; even the little mouth does not go red in the user list.

I'm running murmur 1.2.2 on debian 64bit, on 85.126.82.84 on the default port, password is "test" if you want to checkout the installation.

I have tried with two Linux clients (Fedora 14) and one Windows client. No one can talk to one another and all get the same message:

[13:21] Unable to find matching CELT codecs with other clients. You will not be able to talk to all users.

Anyone got any idea?

• Administrators

I didn’t say others would be able to hear it. :)

Just that it’s not a mute-/speakperm-issue.

The celt version mumble displays are the same and they can't talk with each other when only those 2 are in one channel?

And then that error is logged?

Afaik the Fedora package has Mumble 1.2.2 and CELT 0.8.1. That will not work, 1.2.2 supports 0.7.x only (the API changed between 0.7.x and 0.8.x), but that's a Fedora packaging problem...

That is of course very interesting. Does the current unstable of mumble 1.2.3 support CELT 0.8.1? Or should I remove the celt packages and install 0.7.X by hand?

• Administrators

Current unstable (snapshots) include 0.7.0, 0.9.0,. 0.10.0 on windows. Not sure about centos.

0.7 is always the fallback for mumble, as that was the first celt included in 1.2.x.

So installing 0.7 should at least allow talking with each other, while it may be inferior to using a newer codec version.