This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Support for Jack Input/Output

rawdod

Howdy.

I am very interested in mumble having proper jack support. I've only been using mumble about a week, so I am a newbie to the project.

The info here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3008867&group_id=147372&atid=768008

Leads me to a few initial conclusions.

1) More people than myself our interested in this.

2) No current mumble developers are interested in this.

I'm not just a feature beggar tho, I'm a programmer with a fair bit of experience with jack coding. So it seems this is something I could do.

What I can tell non-coder technical types, is that jack is unlike most other audio input/outputs in that it is callback based. However, another callback

based I/O is supported by mumble and that is coreaudio on OSX. So I can likely expect that decent enough support for callback based sound I/O is already built into mumble core.

I haven't worked with coreaudio directly myself, but I do know its more forgiving of missed deadlines than jack is, but overall when I have compared output modules of

other programs the methods for coreaudio and jack were comparable, often near the same number of methods with the same names for both systems.

I'd like to gather up anyone else interested in this matter, especially if you are a coder or want to donate or pay for this work. Feature requesters are nice, but I think I already have a good idea what

you want, reliable perfect sounding jack I/O with all relevant options easily configurable.

I haven't had time to review the code for more than a few minutes at present, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the mumble channel on IRC. Ask pcgod if he can give you his patch that implements JACK output. Then you can implement the JACK input part.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.