This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

WoW and the Overlay 1.2.3

bizzy401

I have been using mumble for my guild for a few days now and I am totally loving it (so is the rest of the guild), but today my overlay just stopped working. I tried using 1.2.2 and reinstalling ...deleting all of the settings and preferences...I even resorted to completely reinstalling Windows (which needed to be done anyway), but for some reason I can not get the over lay to work anymore. I made sure that I booted up Mumble first and no luck.

If anyone has any ideas or help it would be really appreciated.

WoW - 4.0.3a

Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit

Mumble 1.2.3

No, it is the same version that used to work. Nothing has changed at all (well, obviously something has) and what kills me is that a complete re installation of Windows didn't fix it. I have tried both (1.2.2 and 1.2.3) versions of mumble to no avail. I am at a complete loss for what to do or what to even try.

Did you enable the experimental DX11 support of WoW. I think you can set it through the command line by passing -d3d11to it or by adding SET gxApi "d3d11" to the Config.WTF file. If you did please disable it again, mumble does not support DX11 at the moment.

If this is not the problem please think hard what has changed in your system. Maybe the windows update system installed some driver that you don't know of. Please check you windows update history to see if anything related to the graphics drivers was updated.

You could also try to start mumble after you have started WoW. This sometimes helps getting the overlay on top of a game.

If you want to, you can provide addition info by following this part of the wiki. Particularly the parts "Getting a Console Log" and "Enabling More Verbose Logging in the Over" can provide useful information.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not using DX11. I checked to make sure that the line wasn't in the config.wtf file. It is driving me crazy that the only thing that is installed on my computer is WoW, Mumble and Windows and it still won't work. It worked for about a week before and then stopped. Now I can't even register myself with mumble. When I click Self the register option is subdued. I really like mumble (a completely despise Ventrilo) but the inexplicable way things work sometimes and not others is making me insane. I don't understand the unnecessary complexity that this otherwise great program has.

The complexity is often not in the code, but the variaty of hardware that is has to run on. Every hardware setup can have its own problems and corresponding solutions.

So you hardware did not change and your have done serveral fresh installations. (BTW, fresh installation often only fix hardware driver problems not software problems). The only thing that comes to my mind at the moment is that your are expecting the overlay to work in a situation that is does not show anything. For instance the overlay will be empty when you are not connected to a server and also do not have the FPS counter enabled. So please connect to a server or enable the FPS counter before checking the overlay.

If this is not the case then please provide us with the your log were you have enable the more verbose logging in the Overlay, so we can start to do some real debugging.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Okay, I am trying to use the overlay while in game and with people talking. I ave tried setting th overlay to show everyone and only the people talking. I know when it should work as I already had it working.

I will try to get a log to post, but I am struggling with the Windbg installation failing.

As for the other problem which is way more important now. I can't register. The register option is subdued. The complexity that I spoke of is the crazy certificate/ACL/Token thing that seems really complicated when a simple username and password seems like a way more elegant solution. I assume that after everybody registers and then creates a certificate it would be easier, but I have a lot of people in my guild that are not tech savvy. This results in me having to delete their user so they can recreate it.

But, first things first, what would cause the register option to be subdued?

You could try DebugView it will only show the log, which should be enough for the time being. This small program does not need to be installed and can be downloaded from here