This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Data usage?

️Length must be b️

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

I don't know the exact figure. I can only tell you that connected clients will send ping packets to the server (and the server sends them back) every (I think) 5 seconds. Each ping packet should only be a hand full of bytes big though. Other than that there should be no traffic.

You can measure this data traffic easily though by connecting to a server with a local client and then simply monitoring that client's network usage with a tool of your choice.

4 hours ago, Krzmbrzl said:

I don't know the exact figure. I can only tell you that connected clients will send ping packets to the server (and the server sends them back) every (I think) 5 seconds. Each ping packet should only be a hand full of bytes big though. Other than that there should be no traffic.

You can measure this data traffic easily though by connecting to a server with a local client and then simply monitoring that client's network usage with a tool of your choice.

Its possible to tweak that Server side to a higher Value?

I am intend to buy that Device: https://hytera-europe.com/products/pnc380

Sadly Radio with UHF DMR cost way to much for me now.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ️Length must be b️ said:

Its possible to tweak that Server side to a higher Value?

What do you mean? The ping-rate? That is hard-coded and can't be increased (I also fail to see why this would be useful)

• Administrators

Ah then I misunderstood your intent. You want to increase the ping interval - I thought you wanted to increase the amount of pings sent.

But yeah as I said: This is a fixed property that you'd have to manually change in the source code and then run a custom build of the server and the client.

• Administrators

No I don't think that will happen. Increasing the ping interval will also increase the time until the client realizes that it can't reach the server anymore (and is thus no longer connected to it). I don't think it would be good UX to increase this time...