This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Help with murmur

yamaneko

I have looked around and am simply confused on which approach is correct to take on it, so I would like some clarification.

I wish to install murmur onto my website server (not on my personal computer). I saw guides, but unsure if it is correct because the instructions are not always clear that they are installing murmur to a personal computer or a website server.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Murmurguide#Set_Up_Server

I believe this is for a personal computer, and not exactly what I'm looking for.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Running_Murmur#Authenticating_With_an_External_Database.2FForum

This looks more like what I'm looking for, but I'm not familiar with Ice and DBus, and would like some confirmation if this is the right path for me to follow.

http://sitesmartgaming.com/forums/f37/%5Bhow-%5D-setup-murmur-mumble-server-328/

And for this, I'm totally unsure if this is for a personal computer or a website server.

---------------------------------------

I searched online "How to install voip for a server" and got many different guides and instructions, and no idea where to even begin.

---------------------------------------

Is it possible to just configure Murmur on my desktop and then upload all murmur files to my webserver?

• Administrators

Your first link is what you are looking for.

Are you familiar with server hosting and administration at all?

What is your problem?

Could you tell or check what you mean with website server? A vserver? Root? Do you have shell access? Is it just webspace?

Also, what OS?

First link is about server setup, so what you're looking for.

Second if you want murmur to use a different DBS than the default and recommended SQLite.

Third link looks ok as well for server setup. Didn't read that / see that until now.

No, not much at all.

What is your problem?

Not knowing where or how to begin.

Could you tell or check what you mean with website server? A vserver? Root? Do you have shell access? Is it just webspace?

Also, what OS?

I believe it's a root. I don't believe I have shell access. It's more than just webspace. I have access to cPanel and the FTP (maybe that will help describe what I'm working with, not sure what the technical name is).

The server is running of Linux. I'm currently running Windows, however I can partition+install linux if it's necessary.

No, not much at all.

What is your problem?

Not knowing where or how to begin.

Also, what OS?

I believe it's a root. I don't believe I have shell access. It's more than just webspace. I have access to cPanel and the FTP (maybe that will help describe what I'm working with, not sure what the technical name is).

The server is running of Linux. I'm currently running Windows, however I can partition+install linux if it's necessary.

It would probably help a lot if you gave more precise details on your set up.

EX: I have hostmonster for my webhost. This is a linux server, so I used: http://mumble.info/snapshot/murmur-static_x86-1.2.3-rc1-45-g194ab56.tar.bz2 which is the current release candidate for Murmur only.

Then, I uploaded it to a new folder on the server. From there, I extracted the contents ( this is all that is needed installation wise...just configuration is left. )

Next, I opened murmur.ini and set a few things:

Port: I used the default 64738.

Bandwidth: I went ahead and upped it to 128000.

registerName= Set whatever you want the "Root" channel for the server to be named. If left out, the default is "Root"

serverpassword=somepassword ( this makes it a private server. This way no one can see your server, but instead need to have the IP or hostname, port, and password to connect. )

Now, basic configuration was done. Using a mostly default install, that is enough to run the server.

From there, I had to use a Secure Shell to login to my server. I used CD to Change Directory to where murmur is installed. You will see murmur.x86

Next, I used ./murmur.x86 -supw somepassword to set a super user password. Replace somepassword with whatever you want for the password.

Next, enter: ./murmur.x86 to start the server.

Now, it's best to connect to the server using your regular username first, so you can register it and give admin privileges to it. That way you don't need to be SuperUser all the time. To do this, start Mumble and use your own username and password to join the server. Then, right click your name and select register.

Now, exit out and open it back up. This time, use SuperUser for the username, and the password you set using ./murmur.x86 -supw. Now, you can right click the root channel, select edit. Go to groups, change it to admin, and then add your user. You can now quit back out, and switch to your user.

Now your done with the full setup, and just creating channels and setting privileges is left, however much or little you want.

NOTE: Depending on the actual host, and what install they have things may be quite different for you.

NOTE2: Some of the requirements are: SSH access and a Dedicated IP address. I also had to get the port opened.

• Administrators

Without shell access you won’t be able to set up a mumble server (unless your hoster specifically supports it and allows you to start things with your cpanel).

What I meant with root is a dedicated server. With a dedicated server you always have shell access.

FTP and cpanel is very probably just webspace. Nothing more.