This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Help with setup

johnvonbob

Okay heres the deal, ive been given a private Mumble server. ive got the Host name, the port and the password, as well as the SuperUser password. again this was all handed to me, ive done no configuration of my own or anything. So my question is from here what do i do?

when i open mumble, i dont see anywhere to enter a password when entering a new server's information, and im not sure if i should be messing around with murmur because a) ive already got the SuperUser password, as well as the regular password and b) im clueless with this stuff. ive used vent before but only as a user, never as a server administrator. if i just enter the host name and the port number it cant connect, so im definitely doing something wrong.

so what do i do? i need pretty basic answers :(

If it is the first time that you run mumble, it would be good to first go through the audio and certificate wizard.

You can start by following this guide. The link will put you somewhere at the end of the guide, as the server already has been setup for you.

BTW, when you log-in to a password protected server you will get a pop-up window that will ask you for the password. It will only be ask the first time.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• Administrators

For other users to connect you give them the server pw (if they don't have a registration already).

To adminsitrate and set up your server you log in as "SuperUser" and will be asked for the superuser password on login.

When logged in as superuser you can edit the ACL (permissions, user-groups etc), add channels, etc.

You can then also give perms to register yourself and give your normal account admin perms (edit ACL), so you can to everything with your normal account (superuser is mostly the fallback admin account and can't even talk).

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ACL_and_Groups

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/ACL_Tutorial

If you can't even connect, it does not give you an error or ask for pw, then your hostname or port is wrong, or the server is simply not online.