This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Annoying buzzing sound while someone speaks.

neath

Hi.

My problem is that when someone is speaking via Mumble I hear a loud buzzing sound.

I have tried to fix it with Audio Wizard and configs but nothing really worked.

I am using the latest version of Mumble on:

HP Pavilion HDX9300 Notebook PC and I am using Creative Sound Blaster Arena Headset

IntelĀ® Core2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz

4Gb System memory

IDT High Definiton Audio CODEC, I have recently updated all the drivers

If you need any other information, feel free to ask.

You could first try the audio loopback test, to see if it really is a problem from your site. You can find the loopback test in the Audio Output settings, when you check the advanced box on the left bottom of the settings dialog. Local loopback will test your internal sound system and can give indications if you have used the wrong audio output. For server loopback test you need to connect to a server and will also test your network connection with the server. If all sound fine, maybe you should ask your friend to check his audio settings. If this does not help please report back, I will give some more pointers that could help.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

I tried the audio loopback test and everything did sound all right to me. And it isn't just one person that buzzes while he speaks, it's almost everyone. Although this doesn't happen every single time. So I doubt that everyone of my friends have wrong audio setting... but I guess that it is also possible :D

Just to be sure, with latest version of mumble you mean the latest Release Candidate or the latest stable version?

Also your headset is connected through a USB plug and does not use the integrate sound of your laptop, right? What happens when you use the integrate sound of your laptop? So we can check if it is a problem with your headset in combination with mumble.

Would you be so kind to provide use with the OS you are using. You can always try to enable positional audio, this will cause the audio stream to be up-mixed by mumble to your speaker configuration.

The strange think is that you say that both loopback tests(local/server) sound normal. This would normally indicate that the buzzing sound is already in the sound stream coming from the server. As the server does not do any to the audio stream it has to come from the person talking. The only difference, between the loopback tests and listing to someone on a server, is your input. So try to see what happens when you activate speech from your side when you listen to someone. So select PTT for activation and press the button when someone talks.

When you are connected to the server you can also have a look at server information and see if you have package drops.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

I have tried it with the latest Release Camdidate and with the latest stable version, both doing the same.

And yes. My headset is connected through USB. I tested mumble with my laptop speakers and still heard the buzz.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I'll test the audio loopback test again to see if I messed something up. And I will also try that PTT activation and report back after.

Enabling positional audio didn't help. I tried the loopback tests again and I noticed that when I spoke loud enough the sound would crack/buzz.

Tried also the PTT activation but didn't hear anything different than what I normally hear.

Don't know if this is connected to this buzzing in anyway. But I do get disconnects from servers once in a while "Server connection closed..." or something like that (Can't remember what it excatly said) and after the disconnect it always connects back within few minutes. So could that be related to the buzzing sound I hear, meaning there is something wrong with my connection to the server?