This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble crash on start-up.

vivicector

Hi!

New version of Mumble is not starting at all for me. Details from the window:

Сигнатура проблемы:
 Имя события проблемы:	APPCRASH
 Имя приложения:	mumble.exe
 Версия приложения:	1.2.3.0
 Отметка времени приложения:	4d3b8d78
 Имя модуля с ошибкой:	wl_hook.dll
 Версия модуля с ошибкой:	7.4.3412.12009
 Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой:	4d0093c1
 Код исключения:	c0000005
 Смещение исключения:	0001b9e5
 Версия ОС:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
 Код языка:	1049
 Дополнительные сведения 1:	0a9e
 Дополнительные сведения 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
 Дополнительные сведения 3:	0a9e
 Дополнительные сведения 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

wl_hook.dll is Outpost Firewall module. Backwards compatibility version still works, as well as Mumble 1.2.2.

Just a question to understand what happens, as my Russian is a bit rusty. Okay, mumble.exe crashes due to a dynamically linked library of Outpost firewall. Does this mean that Outpost injects a piece of code into mumble that causes mumble to crash? I have seen this before with the overlay of mumble causing a game to crash, this was due to a wrong memory address being used by the overlay. So probably the Outpost code that was injected into mumble.exe is accessing parts of mumble.exe memory that it should not access/write.

@Kissaki: Often these security programs are hard to remove. These are the only program, besides driver problems, that would make me do a fresh windows installation.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

About library linking - right. Code injection - donno. Usually, Outpost intercepts and suspends different activities of a programs, asking whether one should be allowed.

Agnitum's support asked to make and send logs, done. Good, that problem is not ignored.

• Moderators

rawnar: Yes they're injecting a DLL in every process and something their DLL does causes Mumble to crash. We are unable to debug that because we don't have symbols for their code and the stacktrace has wl_hook.dll frames only.

I too have been experiencing this issue. I would like to note that Mumble 1.2.2 works perfectly fine. No crashes or anything. Something has changed in Mumble 1.2.3 that is causing Mumble to crash on systems with Outpost.

I've been speaking with the Agnitum team about this very problem. I have also been sending crash dumps for every Mumble 1.2.3 RC release (mid RC1 through the latest, RC2-13).

Our developers explored the crash and found that the reason lies beyond wl_hook module. They suggest consulting Mumble developers regarding the crash.

As a workaround you can rename this module in the Safe Mode, however, the ability to detect Entertainment Mode will be lost.

I know of others who are also experiencing this problem. It could even be a problem stemming from QT.

Mumble Dev Team, why not download the trial of Outpost Firewall Pro in order to try to reproduce and fix this problem?

• Moderators

I got a crash dump from someone who experienced that crash and I couldn't do anything useful with it because all stack frames where somewhere in their DLL and I don't have symbols to debug their code. The symbols for most current Mumble versions are available at http://mumble.info/symbols/ and you could try to point the Outpost support team to them, maybe it will help them to debug the problem. There were tons of changes which could've caused the crash to appear... it would be good if you could find the version where it started, the older snapshots are available at http://mumble.info/snapshot/, that might help us to find the cause or at least narrow down the problem.

Thanks for the symbols, I'll pass them along to the Agnitum team in a ticket now.

As I have multiple computers I am able to reproduce this issue. One is running Windows 7 x64 and the other x86. Upon testing this on both machines I have found the following information holds true:

2010-02-27 works - http://mumble.info/snapshot/mumble-2010-02-27-2255-47a453.exe

2010-02-28 crashes start - http://mumble.info/snapshot/mumble-2010-02-28-1728-d44c84.exe

2010-03-xx and onward continues to crash.

I hope this helps.

This will definitely help. Their are only two commits between the two releases and one of it is an update on a php file.

The problems seems to originate from when the HardHook code was extracted from overlay/lib and mumble/GlobalShortcut_win into its own file. Lets see if it was a pure extraction or that maybe also the code was changed.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

I was skiing last week, so no time to check the code. I had a look at the code and HardHook.cpp is a copy paste from the lib.cpp. The only thing different in HardHook.cpp is that the ods function is static. The major change is in the GlobalShortcut_win.cpp, but it is kind of hard to find the problem with Outpost from just the code. What I do see is that the changed code is not part of a class anymore, where it use to be be part of GlobalShortcutWin. Maybe some other dev can use this info and find the problem.

I'm having a problem that sounds similar. I have outpost also. It is the best firewall I've ever had. It can be completely disabled with a right click to troubleshoot the networking. What I have is an an old version. wl_hook is not harmful. I think I chased down this wl_hook road before on other programs that installed with .msi. Problem does not exist with an executable in particular the 1.22 exe.

DO you have or have you ever had Microsoft visual Studio installed?

I cleared up an identical problem with a video card driver install that used an .MSI. After much searching, about a year, I found a MS hotfix for a lib file. It seems they upgraded this lib file (in Visual Studio 2005) and it does not handle nulls and/or overflows correctly.

Unfortunately, that hotfix only worked for that driver install, I can't install the new drivers or most other programs that install with an MSI. MS does offer to look up hotfixes over the phone after a lengthy list of qualification questions. If they give up the hotfix and it works, could you post it? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have good news!

1.2.3-53-g2f3f6b1 (1.2.3 Developer Snapshot) <- this version no longer crashes with Outpost Firewall Pro. I have tested it with the latest stable release (7.1) and the public beta (7.5) and Mumble starts with both.

It would seem whatever has been done between 1.2.3 release and 1.2.3-53-g2f3f6b1 has fixed the issue (so far). :)

• 3 weeks later...