This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Test the Overlay

kruegerfreddy

what would be the best, to test the Overlay and its avatars? I would not like to have to start a game to test the settings.

I thought running a video in VLC or Media Player would do the trick but it doesn't always work. anyone has a cheap easy trick to test it?

It seams the Overlay starts to get more and more features. I noticed an Option in the source to change size via mouse scrolling?

Maybe we should move the Overlay wikipage from the games section to a separate page.

• Administrators

It depends on the renderer of your media player.

Maybe different video containers / codecs are played back with different ones in your setup.

Fullscreen youtube Videos also display the overlay.

Personally, I use Guild Wars most of the time.

The overlay is displayed in the menu and starting it to that point is really fast.

Anyway, simple hello-world or test-apps for OpenGL and DirectX should also work.

• Administrators

We have a special application for doing overlay testing. (src/tests/OverlatTest.* iirc). But it is not shipped with the normal installer and you would have to compile it yourself.

But at the current stage testing in games is the only way to actually test the injection method used for real games. The only thing you can really test with the testing app is the configuration stuff etc.

divix.com the little demo clip gave me overlay, also mediacenter, I don't think mediaplayer rendered it or VLC

on a side note back in 1.2.0 if you had a avatar the name went away but in 1.2.2 I get both. did I miss an option?

• Administrators
on a side note back in 1.2.0 if you had a avatar the name went away but in 1.2.2 I get both. did I miss an option?

With 1.2.2 we replaced the usertexture concept completely by introducing avatars which should be easier to grasp for most users and also suit our plans for video better. There is not really a way to get the old behaviour back completely but you will be able to hide the username and only show the avatar if you want.

With 1.2.2 we replaced the usertexture concept completely by introducing avatars which should be easier to grasp for most users and also suit our plans for video better. There is not really a way to get the old behaviour back completely but you will be able to hide the username and only show the avatar if you want.

in 1.2.3? because I don't see that option in 1.2.2

kruegerfreddy did you get it to work ? also the start screen of Urbanterror http://urbanterror.net gives overlay

kruegerfreddy did you get it to work ?

Sure I did. I have no trouble with the Overlay most of the time. It works like a charm. The new Mumbleclient in Overlay is brilliant. And using Avatars is, IMHO fun.

Overlay works fine in DX10 for Lord of the Rings Online and Left4death or PiratesVSVikikingsVSKinghts. I just have to make sure to have Mumble started BEFORE the game run.

I did ask my question because I wanted to find a way to quickly see my Overlay Options in a quick way without starting a game. see the options and quit the game again.

The You-tube Video in full screen is a brilliant idea so I can test my settings easily now. I would like to take this opportunity to once again thank the Programmers for sharing there great work with us.

Hi.

I'm experiencing a problem with the overlay on my own Mumble, so I'm posting my problem on this topic instead of creating a new one (I hope it's ok).

So, my overlay is set to appear during play, which works perfectly on all my games (and youtube videos), except when playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (too bad for me, it's the only online game i play lately).

First hint : overlay worked well during the BBC2 beta, but now that I play final version, it's not working anymore.

Here is another hint: when i played the beta, I had a NVidia 8800GT as my graphic card, and now I replaced it by a ATI HD5850.

My computer is running on Windows 7 (64), I have DirectX 11 and use Mumble 1.2.2.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your answer.

Unfortunately, I already launch Mumble before launching BC2, and I can't set the game to DirectX 9 (or I don't know how to).

By the way, it seems that some of my teammates are also experiencing this overlay problem with BC2. I asked them to give me more informations about their computer, and I'll post those infos here asap, it might be of some help to find where the bug comes from.

Edit: I just thought about it. I tested the overlay with Dirt 2, which use DirectX 11 too, and it worked fine. Only BC2 doesn't work.