This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Sound quality diminishes when talking for longer than 15 sec

delset

A friend and I are using Mumble 1.2.3-rc2 and since the last update my friend complains that after about 10-15 seconds when I am holding down my talk key it starts to sound like I am, "in a fishbowl." He says that it slowly goes from sounding perfect to terrible after about 15 seconds of continuous talking. The sound, he says, can be describes as, fishbowl, coffee can, or just mumbled. Probably about the same effect you would get if you held the mic up to your mouth and covered it with both hands while talking. He says that it doesn't sound robotic. I don't hear the same problem when he is talking to me. We are both chatting in quiet rooms with headsets. We checked and over the course of a day chatting online, he only lost 2 or 3 packets. There server we are using is still 1.2.2 on a Linux box. It works great if I don't talk for more than 15 seconds at a time. Is there anything in my, or his, configuration I should check to help with this problem? What could be causing this?

-THANKS

This reminds me a little bit of the problem I've been having continuously streaming from a SDR with 1.2.3-rc2.

Does the quality improve again by pushing the Apply button in the input configuration of Mumble at the talkers end?

The helps, at least it does in my case.

Problem seems to be solved once we upgraded to 1.2.3-rc2-13-g492566d!

I did the loopback test on server/local and and coudn't replicate the problem on my end. My friend upgraded before I could get him to run the test on his end.

But everything seems to be working better now with the newer version!