This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

DirectX 8 and the Overlay?

lewellyn

What would it take to make the overlay work in DX 8 games? I'm hoping that the F2P MMO that I play (finally) releases something using DX 9 eventually, but in the mean time, is this something feasible for someone not overly familiar with the Mumble Windows code to tackle?

If your build environment page is correct, I should have no problems getting it built. I just don't see the value in taking the time to try it if people more skilled than I have run screaming. :o

• Administrators

You’d have to look at the overlay code, which injects via a DLL and wraps DX calls (as far as I understood it).

Can't tell you in more detail though.

For DX8 you'd probably just have to adapt the wrapper to DX8 function calls/logic.

Although I don't know about the quality of the overlay code …

Well, I guess I have a project for a slightly more rainy day than today is. 8-)

AFAICT, the concept of overlays is similar in DX8. (Since someone recently asked about overlays in DX7, that's not likely. That's one of the features of DX8.) So, hopefully it won't be too terribly much work to adapt the existing code. I guess we shall see, eh?

• Administrators

While certainly possible implementing an overlay for DirectX 8 is not trivial. The way all our overlay code works is hooking certain DirectX calls adding our own drawing. What functions have to be hooked and how exactly this looks is highly DirectX version specific.

It's a safe bet that this has been done before though and it definitely can be done so if you find/create code with the right license we would certainly accept patches.

(Expect those to receive a fair amount of scrutiny though. Overlay code is pretty much the most critical part of code in Mumble since it is run in other applications. That code crashes -> We crash the application.)