This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

[Solved] 2010-03-05-1330-7f0102 on WinXP

wolfgsh

The Idea to have a Screenshot in the overlay is great!

I noticed a view issues:

- in configure->settings->overlay every press of the "Apply" button makes the blacklist bigger and screenshot smaller.

- i always see myself in the overlay, eaven if "show myself" is off and "only talking" is on.

usability (inside the Overly edit dialog):

- it took me a bit to realize that the zoom slider is not for scaling the individual objects, and that i can scale by dragging their border

- when i right click somewhere, it seems all settings in the pop-up menue apply to only one object. This however is not that obvious and it's not eaven always clear which object i did hit with the right click. suggestion: put name of the object as caption in the right click menue, maybe also outline the object.

- i guess selecting a state allows me to configure opacity in each state, but not position or so. a view hints ( either as tooltip in the state setting, or as "per state" note next to the affected option in the right-click config menue might help ) Maybe eaven give the user some control about that.

- i assume the settings for growth directions are not yet done, otherwise they are too well hidden :)

I agree, mumble is getting better each week.

I have some comments on the last snapshot.

You placed select boxes on programs with enabled overlay and disabled overlay below the screen shot. But what happens if i put the same program in both boxes.

Like if i disable iexploer.exe overlay and enable it on the other box.

I found the "hold the shift" key to increase or decrease the size of the avatar. Is there an other secret way to actually MOVE the avatar to a different place on the screen like the top right or so?

I have an extra comment on the check boxes to enable or disable positional audio. there are boxes on the plug in page. one general and one for each plug in and there is a third box on the audio input page. doesn't all these possibility to disable the 3D Audio confuse the User? Maybe all of these makes sense but it might cause confusion. What do you think.

• Administrators

You placed select boxes on programs with enabled overlay and disabled overlay below the screen shot. But what happens if i put the same program in both boxes.

Like if i disable iexploer.exe overlay and enable it on the other box.

Depends on what you chose.

Those 2 choices (Blacklist and Whitelist) are Radio Buttons, so you can only select one of them.

If you're using Blacklist and did add your program to that list, it will not show the overlay with that program.

If you selected Whitelist and did add your program it will display the overlay within that program.

If both lists would be parsed and active at the same time it would be tabs, or both lists side by side, or sth.

Having those radio buttons means you can only use one of those 2.

I found the "hold the shift" key to increase or decrease the size of the avatar. Is there an other secret way to actually MOVE the avatar to a different place on the screen like the top right or so?

With a switch overlay mode shortcut bound you can switch the overlay mode.

When you did you can in- and decrease avatar sizes as well as move the red dot on the top left of the overlay area to wherever you want the overlay to be.

Just noticed in the settings the overlay preview displays the avatars just like in the overlay edit-mode.

So there's that red dot as well.

I have an extra comment on the check boxes to enable or disable positional audio. there are boxes on the plug in page. one general and one for each plug in and there is a third box on the audio input page. doesn't all these possibility to disable the 3D Audio confuse the User? Maybe all of these makes sense but it might cause confusion. What do you think.

On audio input? Where? I can't find such a thing.

Thank you for your aswer. I will have to look out for that red dot. Havent noticed that yet...

And I was wrong about the "audio input". The check-box im talking about is actually on the Audio-Output page:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/w/images/2/2d/Audio-Output.jpg

here at No 2

Tried this snapshot today as well and got a few comments:

- Haven't been able to get the 'Toggle Overlay' shortcut to do anything... what's it supposed to do?

- Please, put the 'Layout preset' switch in the main Overlay configuration... I know I'm going to get complaints from my friends at the new default display style and this switch is buried too deep into 'difficult' settings right now

- The 'red-move-overlay-dot' is way too small to notice, even difficult to use, maybe make a 4-directional arrow out of it?

- I would like to have some 'obvious' method of scaling the overlay (a slider?)... shift-scroll is nice, but you've got to know it

Other than that, it's look great! especially the custom overlay layouts are a nice tool for power-users, just don't forget the 'plug-and-play' users.

(tested using Windows 7 x64, Nvidia 7600GT and full-screen D3D9 Lotro)

• Administrators
- Haven't been able to get the 'Toggle Overlay' shortcut to do anything... what's it supposed to do?

If you're in fullscreen on an app and the overlay is displayed, if you then press your shortcut the overlay mode is changed from just displaying to also displaying a half-transparent client window as well and you can edit/scroll & move your overlay area.

Also, a cursor is displayed.

Got it to work now! Very cool feature! It only seems to be a bit slow on rendering... it helps a bit if I make the window a lot smaller, but the window-size is not remembered on toggling on and off unfortunately. Also there seems to be some issue with 'rollover' effects, the window only updates them in the cursor-area.

Oh and another thing with the regular overlay: I'm using the avatar&text layout and scaled it down a little bit, but some names still appear larger (ie. unscaled). Seems quite random, but happens with the same people. Might have to do with either their names (character heights?) or maybe the client version or something?