This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

I lag to some people in mumble, but not to others.

malowi

Hi. I have a raiding guild in wow and our guild uses mumble. We have it hosted on a dedicated server with good internet connection so everything is usually fine. I am often on mumble just talking with our guild members and everything is great. But once we start raiding and 25 people comes into mumble, I start to lag for some people. Usually 2-5 guys can't hear what I say while I can hear what they say. The other 20 guys can hear me perfect. If we change to another room in mumble it works again for those 2-5 people, but usually 2-5 other guys stop hearing what I say when we change rooms. Also I think when people dissconnect from mumble and then reconnect they stop hearing what I say, untill we change rooms. I have tried restarting my mumble but that doesnt help.

Since I'm usually our raid-leader it is really annoying when some people can't hear me when I go through boss tactics etc. So if you have any idea of fixes for this, please reply. We might have to switch to ventrilo if we cant solve this and I really want to continue using mumble because it is so much better. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

The server just routes the data you transmit. Thus, every target will be sent the same.

So, if some ppl. can't hear you correctly, while most others do, it's very probably a problem on their end.

As you said lag, it's them lagging, not you.

Their connection probably can't handle it.

The server just routes the data you transmit. Thus, every target will be sent the same.

So, if some ppl. can't hear you correctly, while most others do, it's very probably a problem on their end.

As you said lag, it's them lagging, not you.

Their connection probably can't handle it.

Hmm ok, but the thing is that those people that can't hear me properly, they can hear everyone else in mumble 100%. So they only have lag towards me. They can hear the other 24 people just fine when they talk. So I doubt it's something about their connection. And like I said, if we move to a different room in mumble, it starts to work for those it didn't work for before. But is there any setting in mumble that could help out trying then? I've tried setting all the "Audio per packet" settings etc. to the highest, I think at least, as I thought it could help, but it didn't. We have another raid in 3 hours, any ideas at all that I could try is appreciated.

Just did another raid, same problem. Worked fine in the beginning of the raid but after a couple of hours more and more ppl stopped being able to hear me.

Are there any ACL involved when you are the Raid-leader.

I dont think so. I'm an admin on the server among the other officers. I actually don't really know what ACL's do and I doubt any of the other officers does so I don't think they've changed anything.

Here's a SS for our ACL's incase it helps:

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/ACLs.jpg

Also, all of my mumble settings:

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/Mumble%20settings.jpg

Thought they might help finding what is causing this.

Also, I get this when I connect to the server:

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/MumbleServer.jpg

Would updating to 1.2.3 help solve this? Or could it be that auto-adjusting sound quality is causing this? I have no idea I'm just trying to post anything out of the ordinary :P

Try setting in Audio Output: Quality to 40.0 kb/s and Audio per packet to 20ms. This is a balanced setting.

One other thing could be that you server has a limited internet bandwidth and can not deal with the outgoing data stream. Lowering the Quality will help reduce the needed bandwidth.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Try setting in Audio Output: Quality to 40.0 kb/s and Audio per packet to 20ms. This is a balanced setting.

One other thing could be that you server has a limited internet bandwidth and can not deal with the outgoing data stream. Lowering the Quality will help reduce the needed bandwidth.

Alright, it is kinda odd that people can hear everyone but me if its the bandwidth that is too low, but I'll try this on our next raid tomorrow. Thanks.

It could be that the other users have their Quality set to a lower kb/s. So their stream will not overload the outgoing bandwidth of the server when they talk. ;-)

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

If lowering the bitrate doesn't help I would suggest having everyone who uses the server upgrade to the 1.2.3 stable client and upgrading the server to 1.2.3 aswell (if you haven't done that already).

Our community recently had some trouble with certain people not being able to hear others, and some weren't able to transmit audioable noise to anyone at times. We found that this was caused by people having a mixture of different client versions like 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, various 1.2.3 snapshots and the latest 1.2.3 stable. I'm not completely sure but I believe the technical reason why this was causing problems was because there was so many different CELT versions used. Mumble/murmur is supposed to downgrade everyone is the channel to a CELT version that everyone can make use of automatically if someone with an outdated client joins the channel but there was a bug in the 1.2.2 server that made this feature not function properly in certain scenarios. Because of this it's important that EVERYONE on the server updates to the latest version (and not only the ones who are experiencing problems) and that the server is updated.

We had everyone update to the latest stable client 1.2.3 while updating the server aswell, and that solved all of our problems. Also by having everyone update to the latest client you make sure that you are always experiencing the optimum sound quality since everyone will be using the latest CELT codec, and that some of the new features in 1.2.3 such as priority speaker (which can be very useful for raid-leaders by the way) works properly.

If lowering the bitrate doesn't help I would suggest having everyone who uses the server upgrade to the 1.2.3 stable client and upgrading the server to 1.2.3 aswell (if you haven't done that already).

Our community recently had some trouble with certain people not being able to hear others, and some weren't able to transmit audioable noise to anyone at times. We found that this was caused by people having a mixture of different client versions like 1.2.0, 1.2.1, 1.2.2, various 1.2.3 snapshots and the latest 1.2.3 stable. I'm not completely sure but I believe the technical reason why this was causing problems was because there was so many different CELT versions used. Mumble/murmur is supposed to downgrade everyone is the channel to a CELT version that everyone can make use of automatically if someone with an outdated client joins the channel but there was a bug in the 1.2.2 server that made this feature not function properly in certain scenarios. Because of this it's important that EVERYONE on the server updates to the latest version (and not only the ones who are experiencing problems) and that the server is updated.

We had everyone update to the latest stable client 1.2.3 while updating the server aswell, and that solved all of our problems. Also by having everyone update to the latest client you make sure that you are always experiencing the optimum sound quality since everyone will be using the latest CELT codec, and that some of the new features in 1.2.3 such as priority speaker (which can be very useful for raid-leaders by the way) works properly.

Thank you, I will definitly try this. I just saw that I can right click on users and see their information and what version they are using. The next raid (which should be tomorrow) I will go through everyone to find out if they are using a version earlier than 1.2.2, because I suppose mixing 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 is fine and CELT should be working in that case? Most of us are using 1.2.2 but if it would help I will force everyone to update to 1.2.3.