This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Push-To-Talk problem

lovvi

Couple of days ago my PTT doesn't want to work. It works for a minute and then when I use the button to talk (Mouse3), it doesn't work. So what I do is, I go to settings and then just click OK and I can talk for a minute and it keeps going on like that.

I Tried using XP compatibilty mode, but it doesn't work. It tells me this error "Lost DirectSound input device.". Same thing occurs with voice activation, works for some time and then they don't hear me.

Did you change anything on your system? Like hardware or software.

And what kind of hardware and software are you using to run mumble?

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue and it occured when the software updated. I have a merc stealth keyboard and a logitec G5 mouse. I use Z to push to talk and every few minutes the button stops responding. Go into settings and just click apply and it works fine for a little while.

It initial poster talked about the using voice activation did not solve the problem. If this is also the case for you then it is probably not a keyboard/mouse problem, but a sound driver problem. Could you check if the problem is still present when you use voice activation instead of PTT.

Could you also provide you OS, mumble version(previous and present), and sound device to which you mic is connected.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, USB audio devices and windows 7. ;) Nothing but problems for mumble. The drivers tent to be buggy for these devices.

To get it straight, you have your microphone plugged in through the Bose 2.1 USB speakers?

Would you be so kind to run DebugView while you are running mumble. And see if there are any lines popping up in DebugView when mumble stops responding to the Push-To-Talk button.

The error is related to the audio input, so it could have some effect on your microphone. Try to disable echo cancellation, see if that helps.

To clarify the error a bit more. Mumble fails to open the audio output device, selected in Audio Output, as the echo cancellation device. If this fails mumble will fall back to the default audio output device of windows, as the echo cancellation device.

Just a small check, was echo cancellation enable before you did the update of mumble. Maybe the problem was already there, but echo cancellation was enable due to the update.

If disabling echo cancellation helps, we needs to take a look inside the code of WASAPI.cpp again.