This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Bot direct message

FanteJr

An idea to mumble: we could have a "bot direct message" button, when a bot is responding on Mumble. Telegram use that sysytem, but we dont need to have an automatic detection (like there, couse they have an entire bot infra). Here is Telegram interface:

image.png.ea49df049934f28ceb3b82564fd84ca5.png

We could config that (bot name and - maybe - commands) on murmur.ini. It would work like a personal message, only, but we can create shotcuts and, possibly, make bot invisible. I'm a great enthusiastic about group icons too. I hope that can be improved soon.

With all that on mind, I know this is a hard work specially because Mumble is Open Source. I understand how difficult is and apreciate all things already done and still being do. Nowadays, I'm trying to help with translations to my language but - as you can see - english "still in progress" to me :D. Thanks Mumble team.

Edited by FanteJr
Text correction

• 2 weeks later...

Im sorry. You couldnt understand probably because Im not so good in english yet. Ill try another way to explain:

You are on any channel of your server, type "/" for example and a command... Lets suppose "/status" to capture info of your ingame account (I did something like that on a server). I know there is a way to "intercept" a string by the server, but if was native understandable as a command, the text "/status" would not be sent on the channel. Its easier, faster and confortable form to send a command without need select the bot user to ask for a command. Just a "quality of life" idea, not REALLY necessary.

Another way to do that is add a recipient for a text keybind. You could set one keybing for youself to send (directly) a text to the bot. Instead a text, we could config a name; @ourbot for example. The client would just activate a text interface to send message.

Next year (3rd quarter probably) I'll start learn about QT Framework, to help our team with that quality of life and see if community  will like them, so we can make Mumble even better. Ill try to help with interface organization and test with some friends to see how they react. Im a developer but focused on web and Golang products, not so familiar with visual frameworks; thats why Im not helping right now.

Thanks for you attention 😄

• Administrators

I think a general "/"-like command would probably not work since from your description I take it that this bot you are trying to communicate with will run remotely (instead of on your own computer). In that case though there might as well be multiple bots on the server in which case it would get ambiguous which bot you want to address when writing e.g. /capture.

Introducing the possibility to create a shortcut for writing a text message to a specific user (or bot) sounds like a nice way around that and also this should be pretty easy to implement.

However in case the bot you are referring to is supposed to run on your local machine (you did write it was supposed to capture stats about your game which seems to be running locally), then the new plugin framework of Mumble 1.4.0 might be a good starting point. We could extend the API a bit in order to provide support for intercepting (certain) text messages which could then act as commands to the plugin.