This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Looking for a Mumble/Murmur Positional Audio Expert

sjh76

Hey all,

I'm working on a VOIP project that hopes to incorporate Mumble/Murmur client/server combo for 3D audio purposes... We are looking for someone who is well versed in how both the client AND server components of positional audio work so we can customize and tweak as per our requirements - someone who has a deep understanding of the fundamental code... And yes, there is $$$ involved for someone who knows their stuff!

Please PM me if you fit the bill...

The Positional Audio code itself is not that hard to understand. Just have a look at the code of mumble and murmur. But I can give you a small overview of the process, here goes.

- The plugins class will provide the in-game position and heading of the avatar and camera together with a context and identity string.

- With every audio packet the avatar information, plus the context and the identity strings are send to the server.

- The identity string is there to give the server admin options to for instance auto move people to specific channels.

- The server will pass the audio packet plus the avatar information to the other user in the channel, when their context string is identical for the received one.

- The AudioOutput class will then provide the means to distributed the incoming audio stream over the give loudspeakers, using the local camera info and the remote avatar info.

Hopefully this will help you with your project.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.