This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble lagging my game

xean0r

Without mumble on, I am fine, when I turn it on, I lag badly and it ruins my game (League of Legends). My FPS is fine, but it appears my CPU usage on mumble is sitting at 13-20% while idle and this is with audio processing and overlay turned off. This is VERY strange to me considering I have a 2.4GHz dual core machine. Any suggestions besides turning the priority down?

The lag could also be related to your internet connection. You could try to force mumble to use TCP mode and/or disable QoS.

BTW: What do you mean by audio processing turned off? There will always be some audio processing being done, like noise reduction, AGC and encoding.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Meaning I turned both processing sliders to the far left. I considered internet usage, but Ventrilo does not lag me at all and I have the compression turned down a bit trying to solve this issue. The lag I'm experiencing is a stutter that even results in my commands not going through at some times and it appears my CPU is at 100% with both running.

I changed my network settings like you suggested and I'll find out later if that solved my problem.

Have you encountered any CPU load change by playing with the Audio Processing sliders? I think moving the sliders to the far left will not help reduce the CPU load. Mumble will still do audio processing, but just with different settings.

I just noticed that you said your FPS do not change, this also indicates that it is not a CPU load problem.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Update:

My FPS is actually dropping from 60 to 20ish on closer inspection. It is processor load and I can't fathom how my machine can't handle this... setting priority to game to high and mumble to low didn't help much. Turning down all the graphics to low in the game also helped.

Got a few friends complaining about the same thing, mostly dualcore guys. I have it ok on my quad, but still 10% cpu usage on a 3ghz quad cpu for mumble? Thats a bit drastic, considering ventrilo used to take 2-5% on singlecore 1.5 ghz cpu. Thats a more than tenfold increase over ventrilo...

To be clear we are not a commercial company, but just some coders how give their free time in improving mumble. So posing that we need to do something is a bit strong to my taste. Something in the line of "It would be nice if someone would take the time to lower the CPU usage of mumble." is nicer, but maybe a bit overdone.

I have check the CPU usage on my Linux box(see sig for detail). The CPU usage is around 4%, but when I turn on echo cancellation the usage goes up to 10%. And when I use multichannel (5.1) echo cancellation it even goes up to 26%.

So just try to disable echo cancellation and see what happens.