This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

[SOLVED] turn off Murmur server information

stupidzorz

Hello reader(s),

I would like to turn off the information that Murmur sends to the client about what operating system the server is running on and which version. This seems a huge security hole to me. Sadly enough I couldnt find a way to turn this off or to spoof it.

How to remove/disable this "feature"?

Thanks in advance.

Add the following line to your murmur.ini to stop sending this information.

sendversion=False

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to go on the record:

In my opinion they should set "sendversion" on "false" by default.

TBH, I don't see the real issue. If anything, it'd be fake security by very weak obscurity, since there are a good number of other ways for OS profiling. In addition, most vulnerabilities result from services (as opposed to the OS proper), and those aren't exposed by murmur.

It's a bit like attempting to secure a WLAN by disabling SSID broadcasts. Spoiler: it doesn't work :P

• 8 years later...
  • 5 months later...
I’d like the setting to be in the ini.

So ppl. know about it and can falsify, if they want to.

Done.

the server is running on and which version. This seems a huge security hole to me. Sadly enough I couldnt find a way to turn this off or to spoof it.