This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Indevidual Volume Control

cbale2000

Hello all, new to the forums here but been using Mumble for a while.

I have a question about something that's been bugging me... our Mumble server sees a lot of traffic, and at times we will have some users who's Mic Volume comes through either really loud or really quiet at times for certain people. Having previously used Ventrillo (and stopped using it due to the expense and user limits), I know there was an option in that program to adjust the volume of a user individually. My question is, is there a feature, either hidden somewhere in Mumble or in the form of a modification, that would allow users to adjust volume of the incoming audio from another user?

Thanks!

There is an automatic gain control performed on the captured sound stream. So the streams send to the server should be levelled. It could be that this AGC is not working correctly for these people. Ask these people to redo their Audio Wizard to set their microphone level correctly.

Probably unrelated, but I have encountered this effect of changing sound levels in the past. It happened only while playing a certain game. At that time I had positional audio enabled, switching it of solved the problem.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

There is an automatic gain control performed on the captured sound stream. So the streams send to the server should be levelled. It could be that this AGC is not working correctly for these people. Ask these people to redo their Audio Wizard to set their microphone level correctly.

Probably unrelated, but I have encountered this effect of changing sound levels in the past. It happened only while playing a certain game. At that time I had positional audio enabled, switching it of solved the problem.

Well, I seriously doubt anyone on our server has ever used the Audio Wizard (myself included), so perhaps that's mostly the problem. We're usually playing a variety of games too (no positional audio though) so that might have something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

The automatic gain control is really nice, but I really wish the program still allowed individual volume control. Some people I just want quiet, and others I want loud. Priority speaker doesn't work for this because I'm the only one who wants the volume changes.

• 3 months later...

yes PLEASE we need this badly.

I have one person on my server in particular who has a very weak connection and no matter what we do we can't get him to come in well. He's done the wizard a few dozen times and it's still not enough.

Why can't I simply throttle up his volume? I keep seeing this message "this feature is not enabled nor desired" and frankly, I say you are being presumptuous. I see tons of people that hate the fact that mumble is lacking such a vital feature. I also see "but it won't be good quality, it will probably sound worse" You know what's even worse than bad quality? No quality!

I don't like this decision being made for me from an open-source development team. I would love to help bring this feature to mumble in any way I can, but I'm not sure what I can offer. I'm going to start playing with the source code and seeing if I can get oriented. Maybe I can find a direction.

• 1 month later...

I've been using Mumble for about six months now and this is my most wanted feature by far. It also seems that this feature is very much wanted by the community as well. Also, from the research I've done it just seems as if the devs are being damn stubborn. Sure their philosophy of "why pain others when only one person is in fault" regarding normalization makes sense, but it does not merit not having the feature as it would be extremely useful in many situations.

Sometimes you just WANT to hear people louder or not as loud as other people. Like for example a winamp music stream, I used to this with my girlfriend when we played games together when she was away with ventrilo, but I definitely wanted to hear the music lower than a normal user. There are many situations where you just do not want to hear someone at the normalized volume, whether it be lower or higher. Also, there should be no reason why the feature should not just be there just as a "quick fix" to be able to hear someone or to turn them down without bothering to explain the them and walking them through the wizard.

• 6 months later...

i would love this feature. we used to have a vent server and we all used it on certain people that never could be bothered to adjust their volume. when we moved to mumble, that was the first thing everyone asked how to do. im glad this is supposed to happen on the server side, but i would love to be able to adjust it on my side as well. even if i could have a setting that equalizes everyone to the same sound level on my own pc would be great also.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This is an old post, but I've started using mumble with my guild for a few weeks now, and it's my #1 desired feature. The problem I'm running into are people with inconsistent volumes, not people who no one can hear 100% of the time. When they run the audio wizard, they sound just fine and a lot of the time, I can hear them. But they have a sensitive mic and if it gets moved around or bumped as sometimes happens while gaming, suddenly the sound drops. I would like only that person to come across slightly louder than the rest so when the volume does drop, they are still audible, but I am unable to do so with mumble. Yes, they can adjust their mic, but when we have time-sensitive voice comms needed, a delay means the difference between winning and losing.

Either the AGC needs to be able to adapt to changing volumes on the users' parts or we need some individual volume control. I just don't see why people are so adamantly *against* this feature.