This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

DirectX 11 Support

markan79

Hi

I just wondered if there is any news on DirectX 11 support? I am part of a large community that is migrating people to a 250 user server and I know that I will get asked the same question by the Bad Compan2 2 people at the very least :)

• Administrators

My pull-request, where I converted an initial patch from pcgod and then worked on is still on github.

The DX Samples did work with it, but BF:BC2 crashed for me.

I'm not quite sure why, it may be because it seems to first bind DX9, then DX11. Maybe some strange initialization from them.

No ETA or sth yet.

Haven't done anything on it for some time now. As that's quite some obscure debugging.

• Administrators

As far as I know there is currently no work done on the DX11 overlay. Some of us, me included, don't have the DX11 gear and/or lack time and/or knowledge. The overlay is a very tricky part of Mumble. It is of the charts territory as far as programming is concerned. One has to cut a lot of corners for what is essentially tapping into the drawing system of another application without breaking it (especially while Steam, Fraps and the other crowd try to do the same ;-) ).

The best we have to this point is pcgods patch which is, from what he said, more or less a copy and paste of our DX10 plugin with fixes to make it compile. It works for samples but breaks in real games.

Unless he picks up working on it the best bet is Slicer, the Mumble project leader who wrote the DX9/10 and OpenGL overlays, finding a few days to work on it. Unfortunately that means there is no real ETA. It could be weeks, it could be months. It will happen though :lol:

For the time being: In the case of BFBC2 you can edit the configuration to force it to use DX10 or 9 if you really want the overlay. This will give you the overlay and probably some extra FPS ;-)