This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Assigning kick permissions

markan79

Hi

I am trying to set up fairly large site and I'm having some fun with the Kick permission.

It seems that I can only set it at the root, so I have given there to 2 user groups. Users are assigned to these groups further down the structure (for particular games or game groups) so I assume that once a user is in one of those groups then they would have kick from there on down; but that's not the case. They never get the permission.

Am I getting the logic wrong?

Or is there another way to make it work

• Administrators

Check the channel and those down the tree, and that they inherit the ACL.

Then you should see the inherited ACL in italic and the new, chanl-specific ones non-italic.

ACL are evaluated top to bottom, so check from the bottom up if the person you think should have kick permission really does have it.

You can set kick permission in any channel you want. Just add a new ACL entry in that channel for the same group and allow kick. As I said, evaluated top to bottom, so although kick-perms are not given by the inherited matching ACL entries, the new one will.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response.

All of the permissions are set to inherit down and I don’t have any channels set to not inherit.

My big obstacle is that I can only see the kick permission at the root channel where both groups have it. The permission simply does not display further down so I can't really work out where it may disappear.

Could it be an issue because Group A and Group B both have kick set at the root node, the members of Group B are only set further down the tree? I am wondering if the permission is not inheriting to those added to the group below where the permission was added.

There are some permissions that can only be set in the root channel. These are, Kick, Ban, Register User, Register Self. This is hard coded into the ACL's so one can not change that without changing the code of mumble/murmur.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

There are some permissions that can only be set in the root channel. These are, Kick, Ban, Register User, Register Self. This is hard coded into the ACL's so one can not change that without changing the code of mumble/murmur.

Does that imply that unless I add the users to that group in the root then they wont get the permission by adding them further down? I assume so based on the evidence but wondered if it was intended to work that way