This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Feature bid for devs - improve installation / audio wizard

danilodiogo

We're launching a Mumble trial with our users and so far the vast majority of times users must go through the audio wizard more than once to get everything working.

I realise people should read more and better these things so it works well the first time around. But, unfortunately non-tech savy people just go through an installation on the next-next-next click behavior.

Can we improve Mumble's installation so that it works better the first time around? Programs like Skype, GTalk, etc. usually function well out-of-the-box but if there are any problems there is an audio wizard the person can go through for tweaking and problem solving. But, first time around for the majority of users it works.

Mumble's quality of audio is tremendously better than the other VoIP programs I tried and our users so far think the same. Thus, I'd like to propose a bid for a project to make Mumble's installation simpler that I can pass to our company to sponsor. Let me know what it'll take! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I do recall that there have been some talks about this on the IRC channel, but no implementation yet.

It could be handy to know what the most common problem is when you just next->next->... the audio wizard. Then we could try to tune the default settings.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.