Mumble forums

Running Murmur (mumble server) on NAS!

buialex

Hello! - I´ve been searching like a fool trying to find this issue!

I´ve got a NAS (Network Storage Device) and I wonder if it is possible to run my Mumble server on it? - so that the server is online 24/7!?

atm I run the server on my computer, but as soon I turn my computer off, the server goes offline ofc, and that I want to prevent, by hosting my server on my NAS!

NAS: http://www.lg.com/se/datorprodukter/nas-natverkslagring/LG-N2B1DD2.jsp

Thanks for your help!

Okay I have not tried it myself, but you could try umurmur. It is a slim-downed version of murmur, so it will not support all features. There are packages maintained for some embedded systems.

Your NAS has a Marvell 88F6192 800MH, which is part of the Kirkwood family of Marvell. It has a Sheeva™ embedded CPU on-board, which is based on the ARMv5TE architecture. Probably this architecture will not support all instructions needed by murmur, but I am not sure. Also the CPU is not very powerful, so running murmur on your NAS could have a negative effect on its performance. So I would try umurmur first, and if you are missing to much functionalities give murmur a try.

Just checked Debian GNU, they have an ARM port in there build system and they say it supports Marvel's Kirkwood platform.

I have not given you a method to install murmur on you NAS, yet. But hopefully this info can help you find the way.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.