This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Feature request: Client configuration via URL

sean-w

Hi,

This is a repost of a feature request that I just submitted to the tracker. I am posting it here to get feedback form the Mumble community, as I know not everyone outside the dev team monitors the trackers :) Let me know what you think!

It would be very useful to be able to configure the Mumble client to connect to a given server via URL (a la iTunes). When the user clicks the link, the client could show a connection dialog, with the server's name, address, and port fields filled in, cancel and connect buttons, and a field for the user name, with check box options to add the connection as a favourite, and/or connect at start. This would need to be implemented in three parts:

- The various installers would need to register a protocol handle with the OS, so the browsers would know to execute the client.

- The client would need command line arguments which would take the servers name address and port, and the dialog would need to be added.

- Ideally, the URL would point to a script (http://sourchforge.net/launch.php?name=MyServer&address=example.com or something), which would point the browser to the protocol URL and launch the client.

Why use a script rather than the protocol URL directly? Using a script would allow for the detection of the launch of the client. The script could wait for a request from the client, confirming the launch of the client. If the request is not detected within a time-out period, the browser could be re directed, to download, installation. and set-up instructions for the OS as noted by the browsers user agent. The same link that was originally clicked could be placed at the end of the instructions.

This feature would require very little time to implement, and would create many benefits. For example, a guild or other group would only need to place a single link to enable new members to quickly and easy join a mumble server. Other information, such as a channel to join, or the URL to a theme could also be supplied, eliminating the need for time-consuming custom distributions of mumble.

Have a look here on the wiki page. If you are still missing some options there, please inform us and update the feature request.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, this thread was almost what I was looking for.

I'm trying to get players of my game to migrate to Mumble from Ventrilo. I'm finally making headway but the main bump in the road is that many players do not like the default Mumble settings and are too lazy to find the ones they like. Almost all of them want the same settings changed in the same way, and I have had to explain the changes at least 20 times to different people in the past few days. Yesterday I made an instructional post that I refer everyone to, but it could still be made easier if they could import custom client settings via a URL during installation or during the initial setup wizard.

One way it could work is that I upload my settings to the Mumble site, they are given an identifying URL (like http://mumble.sourceforge.net/settings/3159), and the initial setup wizard of Mumble prompts for that URL. Then those settings are pulled from the site and set on the client.

Any other/better idea to address this problem is welcome, of course. Just thought I would share my idea in case it helps anyone else trying to move a large number of people to Mumble.