This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Best way to set up permissions?

bobbank

Hello,

I tried to go through the online documentation, but I found I was left very confused afterward. I have a gaming guild and we're contemplating moving to mumble from Vent. I set up a small server and I'm trying to learn how to configure the security.

Basically we want to have a few different levels of permission. We have a public lobby that anyone is allowed to make use of. The bulk of our voice server is for members only. There's an idle channel where no one is allowed to talk. And then there is an officers only channel.

Should I be setting up different usergroups for this purpose? I worried about having to manually assign each and every guild member to the basic member group. So I looked into the password/token method, but I didn't know if this was considered weaker, and/or if the person will need to retype the password every time.

Could you please give me some advice on what will be the best way to handle this? If I don't give users permission to register themselves to my server, how does the registration process occur? Maybe members could be everyone in the auth group, and then I'd just manually need to add officers to the officer/admin group.

Thank you for any advice - we'd like to give this a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry for the late reply.

The Token groups are weaker as they can be leaked and when someone it meant to be removed from the group, you can’t – he still knows the token.

Tokens are entered on first need, then saved by the client (see server -> Tokens for a list of saved tokens for that server).

Could you please give me some advice on what will be the best way to handle this? If I don't give users permission to register themselves to my server, how does the registration process occur? Maybe members could be everyone in the auth group, and then I'd just manually need to add officers to the officer/admin group.

That’s a viable option. You will register users by rightclicking them then registering them to the server.

Another way would be to use an Ice Authenticator, essentially a callback script checking an other database (maybe your forum or website) for valid accounts, then allowing or denying connection / setting group (Now that I write this I’m not sure you can set groups – but I’m pretty sure you can, that’s pretty essential).

For the ACL, set up perms in root for @All and your @Moderators,

then in your protected top-chan for members, and then deny speak to everyone in your idle chan.