This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

[Xubuntu 10.10] Mumble Client will not start

squidvt

I'm running 64bit Xubuntu with out Pulse Audio (I've had that break way to many things for me). I have not been able to get it to work with with just ALSA.

I get a grayed out Screen when I start it up.

This is my output from running it on the CLI.

>mumble ~/Desktop

Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

CELT bitstream 8000000b from libcelt0.so.0.0.0

PulseAudio: Connection failure: Connection refused

Locale is en_US

Database SQLite: "3.7.2"

*** WARNING *** The program 'mumble' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.

*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!

*** WARNING *** For more information see

Overlay: Removing old socket on "/home/craig/.MumbleOverlayPipe"

Overlay: Listening on "/home/craig/.MumbleOverlayPipe"

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event0: Power Button

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event1: Power Button

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event2: Logitech Logitech Gaming Keyboard

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event3: Logitech Logitech Gaming Keyboard

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event4: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event5: G15 Extra Keys

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event6: UVC Camera (046d:0804)

SocketRPC: Removing old socket on "/home/craig/.MumbleSocket"

AudioInput: 40000 bits/s, 48000 hz, 480 sample CELT

ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized

ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default:CARD=SB.

ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]

AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo

ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.

ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 3072 samples [1024 per period]

ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer

AudioOutput: Initialized 2 channel 48000 hz mixer

^C

>

I'm at a loss for ideas and would appreciate it if I could get this working in Xubuntu.

Two things are looking strange in your console output.

The first one is related to PulseAudio

PulseAudio: Connection failure: Connection refused

ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized

ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default:CARD=SB.

ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]

AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo

ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.

ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 3072 samples [1024 per period]

ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer

AudioOutput: Initialized 2 channel 48000 hz mixer

As you can see mumble can not setup a connection with the PulseAudio server and falls back to ALSA. This is were the program starts to hang. Could it be that the PulseAudio server is running as a different user then the one you are running mumble with. If you are running PulseAudio in system-wide mode, try to run PulseAudio in per-user mode.

The second one is related to the Shortcuts.

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event0: Power Button

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event1: Power Button

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event2: Logitech Logitech Gaming Keyboard

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event3: Logitech Logitech Gaming Keyboard

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event4: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event5: G15 Extra Keys

GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event6: UVC Camera (046d:0804)

This means you have write permission to /dev/input/event#. On a normal linux system a standard users will not have write permission there. This can mean two things you are running mumble as root or some other users that has permission to write here or the permission in you /dev directories are incorrect. Try to run mumble as a regular user.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Yes I do have read access to the /dev/input/event* devices. That was an actual change I did to fix a couple of things.

I'm not running PulseAudio at all. To be frank I hate it and it breaks quite often on me. I use ALSA (and have for the past 10 years). It's simple and does what I want, it drives my speaks and Mic's. I dont need to be able to push sound out over my network to different systems, and also quite a few programs I use dont work with Pulse anyways. I've also had it take over my sound and break it on many occasions, I got sick of dealing with it and went back to using ALSA.

Now why would it be hanging with ALSA.

*edit*

Ok I did a bit of goggling around and found there is this applicaion called blusz-alsa. That was causing it to hang. I purged that and it seems Mumble is working fine now.