This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Disable "Auto Volume Change"

dke-

Hi,

I've noticed that there's something in mumble that is checking the current DB output on the soundcard and lowers the volume in mumble to make it sound "better" in my opinion this is working really bad and it's just annoying when people keep fading in and out cause their voice is not at a constant volume.

It's a nice idea but executed poorly. Is there a way to completely disable this?

A way to trigger it is to play a song that fills the sound spectrum (electronic music preferable) and have it at high max volume. Stop winamp and then instantly talk on mumble, you'll notice that everyone will say "You're super low volume, turn it up", wait 5 seconds, and you're back to normal volume. Is there a way to just completely disable this feature?

it's not measuing sound output, it's measuring sound input. the only way winamp could be triggering this is if you've your sound input set to "what-u-hear" or "wave out mix" or whatever your soundcard calls it. Apart from anything else, if you do, then any time someone speaks while you're transmitting, you'll echo their voice back to them. Switch your input device to your mic.

Hmm, i'm unsure, maybe winamp is set to wave out, but it only says "output creative x-fi" on winamp. Either way, the winamp isn't the problem i just tried to point out that mumble is indeed doing something with the volume all the time. I've tried to disable it in audio output without success. Is there a way to comment out the code in the source and simply compile a client without this feature?