This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Audio settings not preserved

XAPBob

Hi,

I have a slightly unusual use case for mumble, which it managed with great success last year.

I run a radio station for the four weeks leading up to christmas, but with covid we couldn't have the presenters in a physical studio, so we used a remote connection and mumble providing a low latency audio connection (important for radio).

This year we've gone half and half - so we have a "remote studio" which is the analogue gear and a PC with mumble and vnc conencted over a vpn to the "real" studio.

However that machine's mumble audio settings seem to get reset whenever mumble restarts, with the voice activation "silence" and "clearly voice" thresholds being whacked right up.

The machine is running Debian 11.1, with mumble 1.3.4-1 installed through apt.

Is this something that needs to be set each time mumble gets restarted?  Is there a "save these settings" button I've missed?

Cheers,

• Administrators

No, normally these settings should get saved and restored. Are you closing Mumble regularly (instead of e.g. killing it via task manager or something like that)? 'cause the settings are currently only saved, if Mumble shuts down normally.

You could try opening Mumble, adjusting the settings and then closing the window. And afterwards restart Mumble to see if the settings are restored.

If they are still not restored, you could check for the file [tt]~/.config/Mumble/Mumble.conf[/tt]. This should have been modified at the time Mumble shut down. Maybe also ensure that the user/group Mumble starts with has read and write access to that file.

Ah, it's possible that mumble wasn't closed down gracefully (although another issue, which is why I discovered this reset) was due to EM interference from a beacon we use an "on air" indicator in the kitchen nearby).

I'll check the config file - possibly a feature to add a "save config to file" button?

Thanks

• Administrators

I am already working on implementing saving the settings in a file across all OS and also immediately once you make changes to your settings. So the only thing that would be necessary in order to get a copy of your settings was to copy that file from disk (it will then also be in human-readable form).